Are you ready to lead the largest Democratic training program in the country? Do you want to take NDTC’s technology to the next level? Do you want to use your experience to continue to grow a best-in-class experience for candidates, campaign staff, and local leaders?
This is your opportunity to help progressive and Democratic organizations build the long-term power needed for success, not just this year, but for years to come.
As part of the senior leadership team, the Chief Technology Officer will lead the Product and Technology department, and work closely with the Curriculum, Live Training, Marketing, Fundraising, and Political teams to set the vision and strategy needed to effectively enhance and grow NDTC’s technology capabilities.
This role will be tasked with collaborating to make, lead, and implement technology decisions on behalf of the organization, including aligning the technology strategy with the organizational vision. You will manage, mentor, and grow the full product and tech team, as well as the maintenance, modernization, and expansion of our tech stack. This full-time role reports directly to the CEO and is part of the leadership team.
- Partner with CEO and other leadership to help to define a product vision and strategy that supports and maximizes our mission
- Oversee departmental budgeting and forecasting within the organization
- Manage, mentor, and grow the product and tech team of engineers, user experience experts, consultants, and more
- Advise and support on internal staff technology decisions and management
- Leading all aspects of the development lifecycle, including requirements analysis, strategic planning, design/architecture, execution, deployment, and maintenance
- Building quality assurance and data protection processes, ensuring all technology practices adhere to regulatory standards
- Creating, aligning and providing feedback on the product roadmap, timelines, resource prioritization and allocation.
- Develop a long-term strategy to modernize our tech stack and lead NDTC into the future including advising and managing on the various hardware and software used across the organization
- Ensure product quality and feasibility
- Identify and recommend new technology solutions
- Implement and manage testing and maintenance strategies
- Manage IT security for the organization
Internal Leadership and Staff Management
- Manage and coach at least 3-5 full-time staff promoting NDTC’s culture of excellence and commitment to learning including the establishment of professional development pathways. As the organization grows, we anticipate this team will continue to scale.
- Engage as a member of NDTC’s senior leadership team supporting organizational-wide priorities including strategic planning, diversity and inclusion efforts, policy-making, and budgeting.
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion within NDTC using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
- Experience working with a national-level company with an ability to translate technical knowledge to executive leadership, understand the role technology plays in supporting all aspects of the organization, and can advise on the best path forward for maximizing both technological solutions and limited resources
- Experience building and managing a dynamic team
- Excellent ability to conceptualize long-term business goals and develop processes to accomplish those goals.
- Strong project management leadership experience across technical and non-technical teams
- Significant experience in administration of information systems and technology, with increasing level of responsibility throughout.
- Expert in front-end frameworks such as Vue, React, or Angular
- Familiarity with WordPress or other content management systems
- Excellent understanding of an agile work environment
- Familiarity with Git or other source control systems
- Deep understanding of MySQL or other databases
- Experience designing performant distributed systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related experience
- Significant experience in product management
The following skills or experiences are helpful but not required:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Administration, or related experience
- Familiarity with Laravel, SASS, and Tailwind CSS a plus
- Familiarity with SalesForce, Mobilize, NGP VAN, and other CRMs
NDTC is a fully remote workplace. We have staff all across the country, with large groups centralized in Chicago and Washington, D.C.
Shared Responsibilities for All Staff at NDTC
To scale NDTC’s programming to reach over 170,000 Democrats, we need all staff to contribute to executing key moments of our training program. Staff are provided advance notice for evening and weekend work commitments. These duties are shared across all staff and may include the following as assigned:
- Staffing virtual live training events for NDTC which may include some evening or weekend commitments with reasonable notice for scheduling.
- Staffing large training events most often virtually, but may include in-person events in 2023 and beyond. These commitments typically are multi-day trainings over weekends and happen two-four times per year.
- Participating in a cross-organizational committee or working group such as our equity and inclusion committee or accessibility committee.
Candidates must be willing to fly and live near (or be willing to relocate to) a major metropolitan area with reasonable access to a major airport. NDTC does not provide relocation funding in these circumstances. Examples of reasonable access to a major airport include being located in or near cities such as Chicago, D.C., St. Louis, Atlanta, Austin, Philadelphia, San Diego, etc. that have airports that are easily traveled to for frequent air travel.
Ability to travel to event sites across the U.S. via plane as primary travel method. Occasionally driving, train, or bus travel may be available for travel to off-site locations as determined based on project location.
NDTC works with staff to ensure they have predictable schedules as dictated by our program’s design. Standard work schedules will be adjusted and planned to accommodate any recurring evening and weekend commitments. If other evening and weekend events are assigned, all salaried employees will be provided with comped time off within 2 weeks of the event.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: NDTC requires all full-time, exempt employees to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination per CDC guidelines, unless a medical or religious accommodation is requested and approved. Reasonable time frames for compliance will be provided for candidates who need to complete a full vaccination cycle under this policy. Please reach out if you have further questions or concerns about this policy and how it may apply to your candidacy at NDTC.
About NDTC as an Employer
NDTC believes that our differences enhance our strength as a political party—and as a nation—and we as an organization benefit from a staff of diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.
Compensation + Benefits:
- Pay: Salary is commensurate with experience, with a range of $180,000 – $210,000 per year
- Healthcare: 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, and life insurance available at the start of the first full month of employment
- Retirement Option: 10% employer match on contributions to 401(k)
- Flexible paid time off + all Federal holidays off + NDTC’s offices close for one week for Thanksgiving and a two-week winter break at the end of December.
- Equipment: Laptop, keyboard, mouse, monitor
- Professional Development: At NDTC, we value professional development and career growth. We provide $700 per calendar year for each staff member’s professional development.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply, please email Cheryl Harris at email@example.com with:
- Your resume (PDF format)
- Cover Letter:
- In your cover letter, please share a brief overview of your experience leading technology projects across technical and non-technical teams and the best practices you’ve learned from this experience. Please also include the date on which you would be available to start.
Please list “Chief Technology Officer” in the subject line. No calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org