ONE Northside is seeking an energetic and highly organized Police Accountability Organizer to join a staff team organizing young people and people who regularly interact with the police. This staff member will have the opportunity to work with community members and partners across Chicago to create a new civilian structure to oversee policing in the city, engage the community as new reform policies are created, and help create a Chicago that is safe for everyone. A successful candidate for this position is an individual who is detail-oriented and able to juggle multiple projects, is willing to get out there in the community and build powerful relationships, and has an interest in working with a diverse group of people and engaging in organizing for change on the local, city and federal level. An ideal candidate is someone with an appetite to be a community organizer, who is rooted in a deep commitment to racial and social justice.
The ONE Northside Police Accountability Organizer will organize and strengthen a group of community members working on strategies to address police abuse in Chicago. This will involve youth organizing, coalition work, and organizing marginalized populations in the community. The organizer will do this by building relationships within our member institutions, individuals and the broader community; working to identify leaders and develop their leadership abilities; organizing and attending issue and other organizational meetings; working with identified leadership to coordinate comprehensive strategies; organizing campaigns around identified issues; conducting research, writing press releases, preparing written materials, participating in regular reflection; assisting with organizational actions and trainings; and other tasks as needed.
· Coordinate with Executive Director and Director of Membership and Training to develop organizing strategies and campaigns concerning ONE Northside’s priorities
· Work with the other members of the GAPA coalition to pass and implement the GAPA ordinance, which will involve:
§ Organizing meetings with community members and aldermen
§ Attending and turning people out to public hearings and meetings
§ Organizing public meetings to educate the community about GAPA
§ Educating and recruiting people who may be interested in elected district council positions
· Work with allies and the ACLU to ensure community engagement in police reforms as part of consent decree
· Work one-on-one with identified leaders to build their leadership abilities
· Do outreach to high school students, residents, organizations, ethnic associations and public institutions about ONE Northside’s campaigns and efforts to create change in public policies
· Work with leaders to participate in city and statewide coalitions
· Prepare written reports, meeting summaries, press releases, and related materials as they pertain to the work
· Support fundraising efforts of the organization: assist in identifying and drafting grant proposals and reports, participate in and prepare leaders for site visits, help plan fundraising events, and identify donors.
· Plan and execute logistics for community outreach events and strategies to recruit new institutional and individual members
· Assist the Executive Director with other tasks, as assigned
· Excellent written and verbal communication ability
· Some community organizing experience required
· Familiarity with a diverse range of organizing tactics and strategies
· Proven ability to work with a diverse constituency, across lines of race, economics, nationality, sexual orientation, age, religion and other differences
· Strong interpersonal skills in talking to new people
· Not fazed by going door-to-door, doing calls, and problem solving
· Deep self-interest in building relationships with youth, people who interact with the criminal justice system, former gang members
· Takes initiative and charge of their schedule and work
· Familiarity with agencies on the north side of Chicago
· Ability to meet deadlines
· Basic computer skills
· Innovative, creative, mature thinking and reasoning
· Must be a motivated self-starter
· Demonstrated commitment to the profession of community organizing
· BA degree or equivalent life experience
· Fluency in a second language is a plus
· Having a car is preferred
This is a community organizing job and will require attendance at night and weekend meetings. ONE Northside is an equal opportunity employer. Benefits include individual health/dental coverage and 401K.
To Apply – Please send a resume and cover letter to Becky Wanberg at email@example.com
About ONE Northside (Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside)
Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside (ONE Northside) is a community organization resulting from the merger of Lakeview Action Coalition and Organization of the Northeast. Together, LAC and ONE have a history of nearly 60 years of powerful and effective community organizing. ONE Northside started on July 1, 2013. ONE Northside organizes people from over 100 institutions as well as individual community residents from Rogers Park, Edgewater, Uptown, Ravenswood, North Center, Lake View, and Lincoln Park. Mission: Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside is a mixed-income, multi-ethnic, intergenerational organization that unites our diverse communities. We build collective power to eliminate injustice through bold and innovative community organizing. We accomplish this through developing grassroots leaders and acting together to effect change.