ONE Northside is seeking an energetic, experienced and highly organized Senior Affordable Housing Organizer to join a staff team organizing residents to preserve and create affordable housing in our communities and advance transformational policy change. This staff member will have the opportunity to push back against displacement and build upon a history of effective community organizing. A successful candidate for this position is an individual who is detail-oriented and able to juggle multiple projects, is willing to get out there in the community and build powerful relationships, and has an interest in working with a diverse group of people and engaging in organizing for change on the local, city and federal level. An ideal candidate is someone with at least 5 years of experience as a community organizer, an appetite to push back against the commodification of housing, excitement about helping develop and drive a vision for long term structural change, who is rooted in a deep commitment to racial and social justice.
Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside (ONE Northside) is a community organization resulting from the merger of Lakeview Action Coalition and Organization of the Northeast. Together, ONE and LAC have a history of nearly 60 years of powerful and effective community organizing. ONE Northside started on July 1, 2013. ONE Northside organizes people from nearly 100 institutions, as well as individual community residents, from Rogers Park, Edgewater, Uptown, Ravenswood, North Center, Lake View, and Lincoln Park.
Mission: Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside is a mixed-income, multi-ethnic, intergenerational organization that unites our diverse communities. We build collective power to eliminate injustice through bold and innovative community organizing. We accomplish this through developing grassroots leaders and acting together to effect change.
All ONE Northside organizers build relationships within our member institutions, individuals and the broader community; work with identified leaders to develop their leadership abilities; organize and attend issue and other organizational meetings; work with leadership to coordinate comprehensive strategies; organize campaigns around identified issues; conduct research, write press releases, prepare written materials, participate in regular reflection; and other tasks as needed.
In addition to this, the ONE Northside Senior Affordable Housing Organizer will assist the Executive Director in forwarding the strategic vision for the organization; coordinate the affordable housing campaigns run by a team of community organizers; lead their own affordable housing campaigns; support external and coalition relationships; assist in fundraising activities; bring in new members to ONE Northside; develop and implement staff and leadership training as needed; and supervise some of the community organizing staff.
· Assist Executive Director and Organizing Director to develop organizing strategies and campaigns concerning ONE Northside’s priorities
· Lead and support a team of affordable housing organizers in building a powerful base; leadership development; and strategically organizing on issue campaigns that directly improve people’s lives and ability to live affordably on the north side of Chicago.
· Coordinate with other staff, including the Director of Membership and Training, for implementing training curriculum for staff and leadership
· Create and implement a strategy to build the base of people who are directly impacted by the lack of affordable housing.
· Work with individual and institutional members to build power and develop leadership to address critical human rights issues in our community
· Identify and organize individuals in the community who are directly affected by social justice issues
· Work one-on-one with identified leaders to build their leadership abilities
· Arrange workshops, meetings, and conferences to provide a variety of training for staff and community leaders
· Work with the organization’s leaders to organize issue campaigns on issues identified by the leadership, including staffing an organization wide campaign
· Outreach to residents, organizations, ethnic associations and public institutions about ONE Northside’s campaigns and efforts to create change in public policies
· Organize community leaders to participate in city and statewide coalitions
· Supervise ONE Northside organizers, as assigned. Coordinate their training and orientation. Develop work plan with them, and oversee implementation of work plan.
· Prepare written reports, meeting summaries, press releases, and related materials as they pertain to the work
· Support fundraising efforts of the Executive Director – assist in identifying and drafting grant proposals and reports, participating in and prepare leaders for site visits, help plan fundraising events, and identify donors.
· Plan and execute logistics for community outreach events and strategies to recruit new institutional and individual members
· Assist the Executive Director with other tasks, as assigned
· At least 5 years of organizing experience (community, labor, or issue-based)
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Familiarity with a diverse range of organizing tactics and strategies
· Proven ability to work with a diverse constituency across lines of race, economics, nationality, sexual orientation, age, religion and other differences
· Ability to meet deadlines
· Basic computer skills
· Innovative, creative, mature thinking and reasoning
· Ability to be a motivated self-starter
· Demonstrated commitment to the profession of community organizing
· BA degree or equivalent life experience
· Supervision experience
· Fundraising experience is a plus
· Fluency in a second language is a plus
· Having a car is preferred
This is a community organizing job and as such may require more than 40 hours per week and will require attendance at night and weekend meetings. ONE NORTHSIDE is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About ONE Northside (Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside)
Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside (ONE Northside) is a community organization resulting from the merger of Lakeview Action Coalition and Organization of the Northeast. Together, LAC and ONE have a history of nearly 60 years of powerful and effective community organizing. ONE Northside started on July 1, 2013. ONE Northside organizes people from over 100 institutions as well as individual community residents from Rogers Park, Edgewater, Uptown, Ravenswood, North Center, Lake View, and Lincoln Park. Mission: Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside is a mixed-income, multi-ethnic, intergenerational organization that unites our diverse communities. We build collective power to eliminate injustice through bold and innovative community organizing. We accomplish this through developing grassroots leaders and acting together to effect change.