ONE Northside seeks an energetic, creative, highly organized and experienced Digital Organizing and Communications Specialist. This person will develop and execute a digital campaign strategy for ONE Northside’s efforts to win federal relief and benefits for low income families, people of color, people living with mental illness, households at risk of eviction and others most impacted by the COVID-19 healthcare and economic crisis. This work will be done in conjunction with organizers and community members. The goals include moving corporate and elected targets, and bringing new community members into the work.
The Digital Organizing and Communications Specialist will also support other ONE Northside campaigns fighting for affordable housing, fully funded budgets and social services, and police accountability and community oversight. They will drive digital organizing and communications tactics—including ad buys, livestreaming, pressure campaigns, and aligned visual branding.
The ideal candidate will have excellent verbal and visual storytelling skills, experience with digital organizing and/or communications strategy, a deep commitment to racial and social justice, an appetite to win long term structural reform, and a willingness to experiment with new tactics. This is a contractual position in a collaborative, fast-paced, and innovative environment.
– Create online platforms and spaces that connect and recruit members across social distancing guidelines.
– Support organizers to develop digital strategy that brings new people into the work of ONE Northside
– Orchestrate digital tools (email, social media, remote phone-banking, etc.) to pressure targets on legislative demands
– Work with ONE Northside Organizing Director to seek out, experiment with, and integrate and train staff in digital organizing technology (e.g. relational programs, P2P texting, multi-platform integration)
– Work with ONE Northside Organizing Director to train staff and members in best practice technologies for member recruitment, engagement, and leadership development (e.g. moving online action takers to deeper engagement with our issue campaigns)
– Create (and/or manage projects to create) branded imagery for ONE Northside and our campaigns, including social media graphics, popular education materials, fact sheets, and website/online presence
– Ensure regular communication with ONE Northside’s email list and social media followers to share campaign updates and action opportunities
– Manage virtual broadcasting and sharing of campaign actions to make visible action and progress
– Work with the leadership team to develop strategy to target key audiences across multiple platforms (social media, texting, email, etc.)
Other: The scope of the contract can be expanded at the agreement of both parties.
Evaluation: The work will be evaluated based upon this job description and the specific goals and objectives established by the contract.
Skills and Qualifications
● Curious, creative, and passionate with a keen interest in learning and experimenting
● Interest in campaign communications, grassroots organizing, and structural reform
● Experience with multiple digital platforms: their optimal use, their limits, and their potential for integration and innovation
● Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred
● Proven ability to work with a diverse constituency, across lines of race, economics, nationality, sexual orientation, age, religion and other differences
● Ability to meet deadlines
● Strong commitment to tracking data and evaluating progress and effectiveness
● Innovative, creative, mature thinking and reasoning
● Excellent verbal and visual communication skills with a strong commitment to producing clear, beautiful, and high-quality work
● Demonstrated commitment to working with, in, and for working-class communities of color
● Strong commitment to racial, social, economic and gender justice
● A goal-driven, detail-oriented, self-starter and problem-solver with ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
● A strong track record as an implementer who can manage multiple projects at the same time
● A team player and collaborator with strong interpersonal communication skills
How to Apply: Please submit a RESUME and WORK SAMPLE to email@example.com. Put “Digital Organizing and Communications Specialist” in the subject line. No calls please.
ONE Northside is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About ONE Northside (Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside)
Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside (ONE Northside) is a community organization resulting from the merger of Lakeview Action Coalition and Organization of the Northeast. Together, LAC and ONE have a history of nearly 60 years of powerful and effective community organizing. ONE Northside started on July 1, 2013. ONE Northside organizes people from over 100 institutions as well as individual community residents from Rogers Park, Edgewater, Uptown, Ravenswood, North Center, Lake View, and Lincoln Park. Mission: Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside is a mixed-income, multi-ethnic, intergenerational organization that unites our diverse communities. We build collective power to eliminate injustice through bold and innovative community organizing. We accomplish this through developing grassroots leaders and acting together to effect change.