OneAmerica is looking for an experienced political organizer who is passionate about developing relationships and building grassroots political power in immigrant and refugee communities. OneAmerica has recently undertaken a new strategic direction, doubling down on transformative organizing by establishing a culture in which leaders are liberated through collective movement building, leadership development, and risk-taking. Our political program is a central pillar to bringing this new strategic outlook to life. The Senior Political Manager will drive an ambitious program to build a base of leaders including candidates, elected and grassroots leaders to fight for bold progressive political and policy change at the local, state and national. The Senior Political Manager will lead the strategy and work of the organization political strategy including supporting our 501 C4 arm, OneAmerica Votes and will directly lead our candidate recruitment and training program in partnership with the New American Leaders program and develop the strategy and focus of our electoral and civic engagement field work. This is an exciting opportunity to develop a long-term political agenda that advances power in immigrant and refugee communities in Washington State with a focus on organizing for political power and leadership development.
This is the dream job for someone who wants to be on the front lines of the opposition to the current attacks on our immigrant and refugee communities, in an organization deeply committed to building power at scale through organized people, money and ideas.
Reporting directly to the Deputy Director, this position will manage and oversee our Civic Engagement Manager and a team of canvassers derived from our base communities while serving on the Senior Management Team in order to ensure the political strategy is deeply tied to OneAmerica and OneAmerica Votes organizing, communications and policy advocacy work
Organizing, Candidate Recruitment, Training & Support 40%
• Work directly with the New American Leaders program and OneAmerica Votes to run a candidate training program focused specifically on first- and second-generation immigrant leaders
• Assist in identifying, recruiting, advising and tracking community leaders locally to run for public office and/or serve in campaign management
• Build a candidate training program that is a natural extension of OneAmerica’s leadership development strategy through conducing one on ones with prospective candidates and supporting leaders to run
• Maintain and manage a comprehensive data base of current and potential community leaders that may run for office, as well support relationship-development and maintenance with local, state and national partners and potential allies
• Manage OneAmerica, OneAmerica Votes’, and New American Leaders network of candidates and elected leaders of color in Washington State
• Provide technical assistance, training and consultation to immigrant and refugee elected officials and candidates
• Coordinate and execute small and large group training and networking sessions
Electoral/Campaign Strategy 40%
• Support OneAmerica, OneAmerica Votes and OneAmerica Votes Justice Fund program staff and leaders in developing multi-level political strategies integrated into grassroots, state-wide and federal issue campaigns
• Conduct political and electoral background research
• Manage OneAmerica Vote’s candidate endorsement program, including staying abreast of political developments in Washington State and ensuring the process if focused on leadership development and leveraging political power
• Develop OneAmerica Votes’ electoral field campaign and overall political strategy including training, leadership development and management of volunteer leaders to execute field plans
• Manage Washington Voting Rights Act implementation in Washington State
• Manage OneAmerica Votes’ ballot measure strategy and campaigns
• Support OneAmerica Votes Justice Fund Initiatives, including the Muslim Committee and the Women of Color (WOC4) initiative
• Develop and maintain strong collaborative partnerships with coalition partners, labor union representatives, allied organizations, communities of color and policymakers
Staff Supervision/Management 10%
• Directly supervise the Civic Engagement Manager and other team members (including canvassers) with a focus on mentorship, accountability and leadership development
• Build an effective, results oriented team and track results towards goals with a focus on building power
• Work closely with Organizing Director and Senior Policy Manger to drive issue campaigns at the ballot box
• Work closely with New American Leaders national state coordinators across the country to align state programming
Administration/Org Development 10%
• Report related campaign compliance/finance laws
• Data management through Salesforce and VAN
• Track budgets and raise political dollars
• Support OneAmerica Votes and OAV Justice Fund’s individual and major donor program, with a specific focus on political donors and funders
• Support OneAmerica, OneAmerica Votes, OneAmerica Votes Justice Fund and New American Leaders communications strategy, including brand management, social media, paid media and communications research
We’re seeking an innovative leader who excels in movement-building, is results-oriented, and has strong project and people management skills. While no one candidate will embody all of the qualifications below we are looking for:
• An entrepreneurial, seasoned, and agile leader who possesses both the vision to inspire and the skills to lead the organization’s efforts to increase the political power of immigrants and refugees
• A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles and shifting priorities and managing multiple projects at once.
• Minimum 3-5 years of working experience with at least 3 years in campaign and/or issue advocacy that includes grassroots community organizing in and outside of an electoral context.
• 2-4 years of supervisory experience in a campaign setting or related field.
• A track record of advancing racial equity outcomes and ability to work effectively with communities of color in political settings.
• Knowledge of the political and progressive landscape in WA.
• Working knowledge of the political landscape in targeted counties in Washington State.
• Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with potential candidates, potential donors, lawmakers, and colleagues.
• Background in building campaigns using the Voter Access Network (VAN) and knowledge of election reporting.
• Familiarity with communications strategies tied to issue and candidate campaigns.
• Experience working in communities of color, especially immigrant and refugee communities in Washington State and demonstrated ability to build power through organizing tactics.
• Experience and comfort with fundraising, particularly with individual and political donors.
• Experience with voter registration, get out the vote and electoral campaign activities, including canvassing, phone banking and other outreach.
• Analysis of power and commitment to racial equity and immigrant justice.
• Very strong written and verbal communication skills. Experienced public speaker and facilitator.
• Bilingual skills are preferred.
• Willingness to travel and accommodate community-based scheduling needs such as evening and weekend meetings.
• Access to a reliable vehicle and a Washington State driver’s license required.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
• Salary range is $57,000-$63,000.
• Comprehensive health, vision, dental, life, short- and long-term disability and supplemental AFLAC insurance; Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 403(b) retirement plan; 5 weeks paid time off, paid family leave, ORCA transit card or vehicle stipend and opportunities for sabbatical.
• OneAmerica is committed to employee growth and advancement, including opportunities for professional development.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Political Manager.” Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis and position will be open until filled. Please address your passion and experience building political power through grassroots organizing in your cover letter as well as how your personal and professional background informs your interest in working with OneAmerica. No phone inquiries, please. Please call 206-452-8410 or visit our website at www.weareoneamerica.org to learn more about OneAmerica.
OneAmerica is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women and people of color to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
OneAmerica is a Seattle-based nonprofit whose mission is to advance the fundamental principles of democracy
and justice by building power in immigrant communities.
OneAmerica was established in 2001 by U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal and has since grown to become a
locally and nationally recognized leader in advancing immigrant, civil, and human rights. Our strategies include
grassroots organizing, policy advocacy, immigrant integration programs and civic/electoral engagement. Our
family of organizations consists of OneAmerica (501(c)3), OneAmerica Votes ((501(c)4), ) and OneAmerica Votes
Justice Fund (PAC).
Our work today is more important than ever, and OneAmerica is growing and becoming
stronger to meet our current political challenges. In the past three years, as a result of our efforts we have:
• established a democratic trifecta by electing the most diverse state legislature in Washington’s history
with women of color in the forefront,
• passed the strongest sanctuary city bill in the country protecting immigrants from deportation,
• enacted the Washington Voting Rights Act to eliminate racially polarized voting and elect more people
like us into local office,
• filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration for the unlawful ruling on the Muslim ban, and
• flipped a congressional house seat laying the groundwork for the recent passage of the Dream &
Promise Act in the house.
During this time of growth and opportunity OneAmerica is working to strengthen our response to the
emboldened racism and xenophobia facing our communities by building the social and political power of
immigrants and refugees in Washington State. Given the current political environment in our state and
OneAmerica’s strong reputation, we are poised to govern with new bold ideas for immigrant power and
protection. A significant challenge in this moment is remaining bold in our response to the national backlash
facing immigrants and refugees while also staying focused on our core goals of building power and a long-term
agenda for our state.
OneAmerica is seeking a Senior Political Manager that can lead the political strategy within OneAmerica with
passion and motivation toward structural change centered on power, relationships, movement-building, and