ONE Northside is seeking an energetic and highly organized Communications and Grants Manager to manage and create written materials for funders, media, ONE Northside members and the broader community to ensure coherent and amplified messaging. This staff member will join a staff team working on social justice issues ranging from local anti-displacement to community oversight of the police to state and federal budget austerity. This staff person will also be working with ONE People’s Campaign, an allied 501c4 organization, which engages in local politics. A successful candidate for this position is an excellent writer who is able to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, and has a clear understanding of how to engage on different social media platforms. They must be detail oriented and able to juggle multiple projects. An ideal candidate is someone who is rooted in a deep commitment to racial and social justice.
The Communications and Grants Manager is responsible for developing and implementing the internal and external communications strategy, in collaboration with the executive director and the organizing team. This staff person will also write foundation, corporate and government grant proposals and reports, working closely with the organizing team to ensure that proposals and reports are exciting, accurate and timely.
● Create and implement internal and external communication strategy
● Draft content for mass media releases, ONE Northside website, and other ONE Northside social media
● Liaise with media and handle requests for interviews, statements etc, in conjunction with organizing staff
● Perform “damage control” in cases of bad publicity
● Work one on one with other ONE Northside team members to plan and implement communications elements of digital organizing strategies.
● Assist with foundation fundraising strategy
● Draft grant proposals and reports to government, corporate and foundation funders and prospective funders
● Assemble grant proposals, including supporting materials
● Monitor proposal and report deadlines
● Work closely with ONE Northside team members to understand their work to ensure grant proposals and reports are up to date and accurate
● Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent prior experience
● Demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively for different audiences
● Understanding of basic concepts of community organizing
● Clear understanding of engaging with social media platforms
● Experience in web design and content production is a plus
● Working knowledge of MS Office; photo and video-editing software is an asset
● Strong proven ability to meet deadlines and be attentive to detail
● High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork; high degree of initiative
● Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate and manage relationships
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Proven ability to work with a diverse constituency, across lines of race, class, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion and other differences
● Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills
● Effective and creative problem solver
● Takes initiative and charge of their schedule and work
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● Excellent computer skills
● Innovative, creative, mature thinking and reasoning
● Must be a motivated self-starter
ONE Northside is an equal opportunity employer.
● Comprehensive benefits package includes employer paid medical and dental insurance. Employer contribution of 4.5% of salary into a retirement plan. 13 paid vacation and personal days the first year, 12 wellness days and 18 paid holidays.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside (ONE Northside)
Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside (ONE Northside) is a community organization resulting from the merger of Lakeview Action Coalition and Organization of the Northeast. Together, ONE and LAC have a history of nearly 60 years of powerful and effective community organizing. ONE Northside started on July 1, 2013. ONE Northside organizes people from over 100 institutions, as well as individual community residents, from Rogers Park, Edgewater, Uptown, Ravenswood, North Center, Lake View, and Lincoln Park. ONE Northside Mission: Organizing Neighborhoods for Equality: Northside is a mixed-income, multi-ethnic, intergenerational organization that unites our diverse communities. We build collective power to eliminate injustice through bold and innovative community organizing. We accomplish this through developing grassroots leaders and acting together to effect change.
ONE Northside works closely with ONE People’s Campaign. ONE People’s Campaign is committed to winning racial, gender and economic justice by dismantling systems of oppression. As people directly affected by the issues, we accomplish this through year-round community engagement, advancing progressive policies, and building governing power across Illinois. We envision a society in which all voices are heard and government serves the interests of the people and the planet, so that communities thrive and every person lives with joy and dignity.