PA Stands Up is an independent political organization by and for the many. We organize Black, brown and white working people across Pennsylvania’s cities, towns, and rural areas. Our chapters in Lehigh, Lancaster, Cumberland, Dauphin, Berks, Lackawanna, Luzerne, and Philadelphia counties build grassroots leadership, fight on our issues, and win elections. Together, we are building the durable political infrastructure necessary to win governing power and enact bold, redistributive measures for the common good.
PA Stands Up seeks a Regional Organizing Manager to supervise and support our chapter organizers to build grassroots political power, take on an entrenched system, and revitalize our democracy. Candidates should have a proven track record of leading campaigns, organizing locally in their regions, managing complex electoral, legislative, and base building campaigns, with excellent verbal and written communication skills and a sophisticated analysis of the current political landscape. This is a position of political leadership in a collaborative, fast-paced, and innovative environment; the work will require travel, weeknight, and weekend hours. There is a staff union within PA Stands Up, however this position is not a member of the bargaining unit.
The Regional Organizing Manager is directly accountable to the Organizing Director.
- Directly supervise Lead Organizers across 2-3 chapters in PA Stands Up, driving accountability, ongoing reflection, learning, innovation, and improvement through check-ins, goal setting, accountability and one to one coaching.
- Work with organizers to develop campaign plans for issue and electoral campaigns that are in alignment with PA Stands Up statewide strategy.
- Strategize with local organizers and leadership teams on impactful local campaigns
- Facilitate the participation and leadership of local chapters in statewide campaigns
- Coordinate with local organizers and movement politics organizers to implement electoral strategy.
- Work with Organizers and Organizing Director to develop and implement a base building plan to grow membership and leadership across designated regions.
- Set and meet base-building and campaign goals in our target geographies
- Host spaces in the organizing department for consistent disciplined member engagement and outreach. (IE regular phone banks, role play spaces for propositions, etc.)
- Work with Lead Organizers and member-leaders to set and meet our chapters’ grassroots fundraising goals, including membership programs and individual giving
- Communicate clearly and consistently to organizers about program development, expectations, goals, and changes in program/political landscape.
- Exemplify and cultivate a work culture of support and accountability
- Demonstrate visionary leadership to grow a mass movement of multi-racial and cross-class working people across Pennsylvania
- Represent PA Stands Up in local and regional relationships and organizing spaces
- Exemplify a culture of compassion and curiosity with our staff and members
- Engage in and lead difficult conversations about strategy, programs, performance, and personnel in good faith with respect.
- Foster a positive, supportive, disciplined, and accountable culture in the Organizing Department.
- Design, develop, and implement a system of member onboarding and engagement. This work may include but is not limited to:
- Full accounting of our membership/leadership by chapter including dues payment
- Create the “onboarding” package a new member would receive upon joining
- Brochure, t-shirt, stickers, contact info for organizer/LT, etc.
- Orientation trainings
- Orientation videos/recordings
- Work with Narrative Director to integrate local chapter priorities into our electoral and issue campaign work plan
- Together with Narrative Director, help shape public messaging and communications strategy to support electoral and legislative campaigns
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience in grassroots organizing, labor, and/or politics, preferably with experience in building grassroots political power with a culture of democracy and debate
- Demonstrated leadership ability and experience working in rural areas and/or communities of color
- Strong commitment to racial, social, economic, and gender justice
- Strong commitment to independent, innovative political action by and for working people
- Proven track record of planning, managing, and executing complex electoral and legislative campaigns. Prefer experience leading both independent expenditure and coordinated electoral campaigns
- Experience managing team members in a supportive and accountable environment
- Demonstrated ability to navigate conflict and tension in work spaces in a respectful and dignified manner in line with the values of our organization.
- A goal-driven, detail-oriented, self-starter and problem-solver with ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Experience with and knowledge of Pennsylvania politics
- Acute political savvy and excellent analytical skills
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English preferred
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary for this position is $65,000 with employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; access to a 401(K); and generous paid time off.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with “Regional Organizing Manager Application” in the subject line.
PASU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply. PASU does not discriminate against or tolerate harassment of any employee because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, any other basis prohibited by law, or protected activity under the anti-discrimination statutes.
A Note to BIPOC Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About PA Stands Up
PA Stands Up is an independent political organization by and for the many. We organize Black, brown, and white working people across Pennsylvania's cities, towns and rural areas. Our chapters in Lehigh, Northampton, Monroe, Lancaster, Cumberland, Dauphin, Berks, Lackawanna, Luzerne and Philadelphia counties build grassroots leadership, fight on our issues, and win elections. Together, we are building the durable political infrastructure necessary to win governing power and enact bold, redistributive measures for the common good.