PASU is an independent political organization by and for the many. We organize Black, brown, and white working people across Pennsylvania’s cities, towns and rural areas. Our chapters in Lehigh, Northampton, Monroe, Lancaster, Cumberland, Dauphin, Berks, Lackawanna, Luzerne and Philadelphia counties build grassroots leadership, fight on our issues, and win elections. Together, we are building the durable political infrastructure necessary to win governing power and enact bold, redistributive measures for the common good.
This full-time (40 hours/week) salaried position is responsible for key financial management and administrative activities of Pennsylvania Stands Up (“PASU”), et al. At PA Stands Up, we organize for power. Across race, place, and generation, we are building a Pennsylvania that works for all of us. Pennsylvania Stands Up is comprised of multiple legal entities, working together: Pennsylvania Stands Up, Inc. (501c4), Pennsylvania Stands Up Institute (501c3), People for Public Safety as well as federal and state PAC funds. PASU is used to refer to all legal entities.
This remote position reports to the Operations Director and can be based anywhere, however occasional travel to eastern PA will be expected. The Accountant will work as a detail-oriented financial administrator who works with a dynamic team to optimize and streamline financial management procedures. PASU works closely with staff to develop flexible work schedules that meet both staff members’ and organizational needs.
- Manage and maintain PASU QuickBooks Online bookkeeping account through daily updates of transaction records, account reconciliation, assist with payroll administration, and manage all accounts
- Work closely with the Operations Director, Executive Director, external CPA, and Board Finance Chair to organize, implement, and maintain proper financial and administrative policies and procedures
- Prepare, fulfill and distribute checks and electronic payments
- Onboard new customers and vendors, including processing of W9 forms
- Evaluate and optimize financial controls and policies
- Manage reimbursements and reconcile bank deposits
- Process and document various mail pieces, paper files, and records daily
- Reconcile monthly staff credit card expense reports before issuing payment
- Reconcile donor reports and data between ActBlue and EveryAction
- Implement best practices for accounting and financial processes within PASU for grant funding
- Assist with grant income tracking and report preparation
- Perform general and financial tasks using generally accepted accounting principles
- Embrace the use of technology, automation, and continuous improvement to create an efficient accounting department
- Perform other tasks as assigned
DESIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Extremely detailed-oriented & highly organized
- Strong alignment with the organization’s mission
- Ability to work well both in a small team and independently
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Excellent and clear oral and written communication skills
- Creative problem solver
- Interest in long term funding strategy and planning
EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or related field OR equivalent accounting experience
- At least two years of experience in a generalist accounting position (nonprofit accounting experience strongly desired), with knowledge of accounting rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Nonprofit financial management and accounting experience strongly preferred
- Advanced proficiency of computers and various administrative and financial programs, including: Quickbooks Online, Google Suite, Bill.com and Adobe Acrobat
- Knowledge of financial controls and accounting standards, and financial reporting
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range is $50-55,000. PA Stands Up is dedicated to workers rights and offers health benefits, including dental and vision, and generous paid time off to its employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a one page cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with “Accountant” in the subject line.
PASU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply. PASU does not discriminate against or tolerate harassment of any employee because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, any other basis prohibited by law, or protected activity under the anti-discrimination statutes.
A Note to BIPOC Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.