PA Stands Up is an independent political organization by and for the many. We organize Black, brown, and white working people across Pennsylvania’s cities, towns, and rural areas. Our chapters in Lehigh, Northampton, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Lancaster, Cumberland, Dauphin, Berks, and Philadelphia counties build grassroots leadership, fight on our issues, and win elections. Together, we are building the durable political infrastructure necessary to win governing power and enact bold, redistributive measures for the common good.
PA Stands Up seeks Paid Canvassers to drive the development and implementation of a statewide field strategy that builds local chapter base power, and works under the Regional Field Director to execute a statewide leadership development and training program. This position is a critical part of Pennsylvania Stands Up, and reports directly to the Regional Field Director.
The Paid Canvasser is directly accountable to the Regional Field Director.
- A deep understanding of the issues in the community where you will be canvassing
- A desire to engage voters in your community to support chapter endorsed candidates
- Canvassing voters 4-5 days a week and reporting the canvassing data to the Regional Field Director.
- Canvassing includes: talking to voters and having persuasion conversations at the door
- Attending daily meetings and trainings associated with the role.
- Collecting signatures for multiple ballot initiatives to get referendums on the ballot that would:
- End Solitary Confinement in Lackawanna or Lehigh County
- Create a Behavior Response Team in Scranton or Allentown
- This is an in-person opportunity only.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- One cycle of relevant experience in grassroots organizing, labor, and/or politics, preferably with experience in building grassroots community teams around a common goal preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and experience working in rural areas and/or communities of color
- Strong commitment to racial, social, economic, and gender justice
- Strong commitment to independent, innovative political action by and for working people
- A goal-driven, detail-oriented self-starter and problem-solver with the ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Acute strategy development and analytical skills
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is $20-25 per hour. PA Stands Up is dedicated to workers’ rights and offers health benefits and paid time off to its employees. Health insurance for employees working over 36+ hours per week.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, experience, commitment, and any relevant personal background to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Paid Canvasser” in the subject line.
PASU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply. PASU does not discriminate against or tolerate harassment of any employee because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, any other basis prohibited by law, or protected activity under the anti-discrimination statutes.
A Note to BIPOC Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
Pennsylvania Stands Up Jobs