WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
The People & Culture team aims to establish ActBlue as a top employer of choice for people who are passionate about empowering small-dollar donors in our country. We attract diverse, talented employees and promote an engaging, inclusive culture where team members develop, thrive and catalyze positive change.
The Payroll, Compensation & Retirement Plan Specialist will be responsible for administering ActBlue’s compensation program including processing payroll for 350+ employees and interns across various states and legal entities and regularly conducting research and analysis to maintain competitive pay across the organization. This individual will also manage retirement benefits and HRIS regulatory processes. This role will be an integral member of ActBlue’s People & Culture team, and will report to the HR Manager.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Prepare and execute payroll using our Human Resources Information System (HRIS), UKG, for salaried and hourly staff on a bi-weekly basis, including review of information to be entered, input of payroll transactions, auditing of earnings, taxes and deductions.
- Act as the main point of contact for all payroll matters; be a trusted resource and first responder to employee payroll inquiries and provide payroll reports to Finance, as-needed.
- Oversee registering the organization as an employer when adding staff in new states, prepare the payroll system to operate in that state and manage tax paperwork and filings in all states where the organization is active.
- Manage federal, state and local tax compliance including performing routine tax reconciliations and process filings; verify W-2s are accurate and resolve tax discrepancies and questions.
- Establish and conduct internal audit and control procedures to ensure that all earnings, deductions and payroll taxes are accurate.
- Develop strong working relationships with managers to ensure employee timesheets are submitted correctly and on time for payroll processing.
- Collaborate with the HRIS vendor to ensure timely and accurate reporting of quarterly and annual wage and tax filings.
Compensation Program Management
- Administer and maintain various compensation-related data management systems, and coordinates and facilitates implementation of org compensation programs and initiatives.
- Conduct research and analysis in different areas involving compensation, such as compensation statistics and market analysis.
- Collaborate with People & Culture and Finance leadership regarding compensation decisions and provide oversight of compliance with regulations and labor laws.
- Manage ActBlue’s salary adjustment opportunities including, but not limited to, promotions, performance-based pay, merit, parity and COLA.
- Join and participate in compensation networks and liaise with other comp specialists to advise updates to ActBlue’s compensation philosophy.
Retirement Plan Administration
- Act as the main point of contact with Fidelity, our 401(k) retirement plan administrator.
- Oversee 401(k) compliance including annual audit, distributing required notices to employees and conducting annual nondiscrimination testing.
- Prepare and process annual retirement plan filings (8955-SSA, 5500).
- Work with Fidelity to perform annual retirement true-up match.
- Collaborate with Talent Development and HR team members to establish and facilitate ongoing retirement plan educational opportunities for employees.
- Oversee ACA compliance, including measurement period tracking and annual 1095 series filings.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to payroll, retirement and ACA administration.
- Make recommendations to management regarding retirement plan best practices.
- Engage in other special projects as requested.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Five+ years of in-depth, multi-state payroll experience
- Three+ years of experience managing compensation programs, with a well-developed understanding of compensation best practices
- Two+ years of experience administering 401(k) retirement plan benefits
- Experience managing vendors and developing effective working relationships
- Solid understanding of laws, regulations, and agency interpretations related to payroll, retirement benefits and the ACA
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to clearly address pay and benefit questions in easily understood terms
- Strong familiarity navigating HRIS and payroll software and the ability to learn new systems quickly
- Meticulous attention to detail and intolerance for making mistakes.
- A logical approach to problem solving and a drive to find the correct answer
- Ability to manage competing priorities and meet hard deadlines.
- Ability to adapt and grow professionally as position and responsibilities evolve.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Excitement about our mission of empowering grassroots donors and increasing participation in our democracy and society. We love what we do, and you should, too!
BONUS POINTS IF…
- You have experience in the Tech or Tech-adjacent sector
- You have experience with our HRIS and payroll provider, UKG
- You are familiar with Fidelity 401(k) plan administration
- You bring prior work experience in a scaling or mid-sized organization
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., Wisconsin, and Wyoming
Salary range: $90,000 – $136,000
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy.
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families.
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match.
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue.
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees.
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.