Title: Distributed Organizer
Reports to: Field Director
Location: Western PA preferred, remote possible
Pennsylvania United is hiring a Distributed Organizer for the 2020 election cycle. The Distributed Organizer will be responsible for leading Pennsylvania United’s scaled organizing program, which includes recruiting volunteers from across the state and country to build progressive power in this election cycle, building systems to increase volunteer leadership and capacity, and training and supporting members to contact voters.
The ideal candidate will be creative, a fast learner, and someone who is willing to quickly implement new ideas, while learning from failure. We are seeking individuals who are passionate, enthusiastic, and committed to social justice, with fluency using ThruTalk, Peer to Peer Text Systems, and the VAN. Previous experience as an organizer of at least one year is required.
- Build and support volunteer teams to contact hundreds of thousands of voters through phone banks, deep canvass phone banks, and peer to peer texts
- Build and maintain relationships with key volunteer leaders who have the potential to lead PA United’s distributed strategy through 1:1s, trainings, and planning meetings
- Support our statewide fellowship program by adding capacity to training on webinars and creating online guides
- Train volunteers and staff on predictive dialer and peer to peer text tools
- Fundraise for the organization. This may include supporting remote volunteers to recruit dues-paying members, and working with others to solicit contributions
- Manage distributed organizing data flow between the VAN, Thru Talk, and Peer to Peer Text Tools
- Ability to create voter contact scripts and lists
- Use the VAN and Google Suite to set up internal tracking systems for goals, voter contact efforts, and program metrics
Qualifications and Skills:
- Commitment to understanding race, class, gender, and other equity issues as part of your work as well as the impact these structural issues have on our collective work environment
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, and challenge people to take risks in order to make change
- Experience leading a project, tracking and achieving multiple goals, and coordinating logistics with multiple team members
- Ability to receive and integrate performance-based feedback into ongoing work plans as well as the ability to provide relevant and timely feedback to peers in a constructive manner
- A college degree or formal education is not required
The work schedule includes regular evening and weekend work. Candidates requiring a strictly 9 to 5 schedule will not be a good fit for this position.
This is a full time position with a contract that covers August 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020. Salary range is $3,500 – $4,000 per month (depending on experience) plus healthcare. Paid sick days are included. A cell phone reimbursement, as well as campaign expense reimbursements, will be provided.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Pennsylvania United is an affirmative action employer. Women, LGBTQIA people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Pennsylvania United
About Pennsylvania United
Pennsylvania United is a coalition of community, labor, and environmental organizations that builds power for working class communities around issues and politics. We bring together people and organizations to run issue-based campaigns, grow grassroots political power, and build a sustainable progressive movement in the counties outside of Pittsburgh with a history of pro-union progressivism that have shifted to the right over the past decades. Our organizing is focused on connecting communities of color with white working class communities in rural and ex-urban areas that have experienced disinvestment from economic opportunities and organizing resources, with the goal of rebuilding long-term organizing infrastructure.