People’s Action is hiring Deep Canvassers, which are temporary project positions through the November election. Deep Canvassers are on the front lines of our communities, speaking to community members about our political and economic systems. Our organizers engage in Deep Canvassing, which involves making real, human connections with voters through shared experience that establishes mutual trust. Although more demanding than traditional outreach, our work is immensely rewarding. We offer training to candidates with the right attitude and desire to make a difference, which is more important than specific campaign experience.
In this time of social distancing, our organizing and “canvassing” is done remotely through phone calls rather than door knocking and in-person events. This is a remote position, however, preference will be given to candidates within and/or with strong ties to Minnesota.
- Deep canvassing
- Conduct deep canvass conversations via phone with voters
- Utilize deep canvass skills to elicit emotionally deep conversations with voters to decrease support for Donald Trump / down-ballot Republicans.
- Ability to intentionally listen to voters without judgment. Demonstrate vulnerability with voters. Share personal stake stories and elicit stories from voters.
- Phone banking multiple times per week on a Zoom video call with team members.
- Being present and available for weekly paid training experiences such as full team trainings, 1:1 trainings, and individual time to listen back on recorded conversations.
- Being emotionally resilient and mentally present during work.
- Maintaining a professional, positive, and healthy rapport during all public interactions, inviting people to share their stories and perspectives more deeply, and offering them a clear analysis of the importance of collective action.
- Accurately recording the results of every interaction in our tracking database and reporting daily numbers.
- Helping to maintain a healthy and positive work environment.
Required Experience & Skills:
- Excellent writing, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills preferred.
- Ability to work quickly and cooperatively.
- Proficiency in basic computer and smartphone applications, including Google Suite and Zoom.
- Experience using relational databases preferred.
- Strong work ethic.
- Desire to learn about progressive politics and social issues.
- Desire to improve your skills and a willingness to reflect on your own experiences and your stake in this work.
- Adapt to a flexible work schedule.
- Able to learn how to efficiently enter data into an online database.
- Previous canvassing, public outreach, or political/campaign experience is a plus.
You must be able to accommodate a work schedule that includes weekday evenings and sometimes weekends.
© People’s Action Power. All rights reserved, People’s Action Power is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Remote Applicants: People’s Action Power will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
About People's Action Power
People’s Action Power is a Political Action Committee (PAC) formed by People’s Action Institute (501c3), and sister organization People’s Action (501c4), are national progressive organizations supporting the mobilization and leadership of the grassroots in support of an agenda that reflects people over profits. People’s Action/Institute builds the power of poor and working people, in rural, suburban, and urban areas to win change through issue campaigns and elections.
With offices in Washington, DC, and Chicago, IL, and remote staff across the country, we support and advance state-based and national fights for progressive policies on the environment, decarceration, health care, economic security, housing, education, and more. Our member organizations, nearly 40 organizations across 28 states, improve lives by running local- and state-level issue and electoral campaigns, leading statewide tables, and collectively come together to change national policy and politics.
People’s Action/ Institute has a track record of leadership in coordinating field mobilization and advocacy in advancing an array of issues at the local, state, and federal levels. Our member organization has won important victories at the national, state, and local levels, including health insurance for millions and the reversal of health care laws that discriminate based on citizenship, stopping Wall Street banks from selling predatory payday loans to their customers, and historic legislation like the Community Reinvestment Act to victory and the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
For more information on People's Action, please visit https://peoplesaction.org/