PA Stands Up is an independent people-powered organization, by and for the many. We organize working people—Black, white, and brown—across Pennsylvania’s cities, towns, and rural areas. Our chapters develop grassroots leaders and organization to make a difference on issues and in elections. Together we’re building the durable infrastructure that’s needed to win governing power and enact a bold agenda for the common good.
Reports to: Executive Director
Key Relationships: Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director, Managing Director, Communications and Narrative Director, external partners
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania, but flexible for ideal candidate
Application Deadline: ASAP
Start date: January 15, 2020
Compensation: $75,000-$90,000 annually
Electoral Strategy, Leadership Development and Strategic Planning
- Collaborate with statewide and local leadership teams to create a strategic political plan and power mapping to determine which electoral seats we should target and build towards.
- Implement yearly political plans by working with the Organizing team and the Delegates Assembly in the planning, execution and evaluation of our political programs.
- Identify, develop and invest in a cohort of electoral leaders who are serious about building political power in their communities with a particular focus on racial, gender, and geographic diversity of the working class.
- Develop chapter staff and leaders into powerful political strategists to win elections locally.
- Develop strategic plan for contesting for power within the Democratic Party (cuts through all buckets of work)
Develop Delegates Assembly into powerful political body within statewide organization
- Develop shared political analysis within DA and build capacity of delegates to lead this process within their chapters
- Revise and solidify organizational endorsement processes.
- Facilitate delegates’ engagement in strategic planning with PA Stands Up board of directors
Develop a candidate and staff pipeline
- Build and maintain relationships with present and future movement candidates and staff who seek the support of our chapters.
- Recruit and train a network of community leaders from our base to run for office in key geographies.
- Develop and execute electoral training academy focusing on field and narrative strategy
- Develop a robust set of tools and systems to support our candidates’ field, fundraising and communications work.
- Ensure training program meets clear goals around developing Black and POC staff.
Labor, Organizational and Elected Official Relationship Building and Navigation
- Develop, nurture, and manage relationships with key political leaders, other stakeholders and decision-makers.
- Build and maintain relationships with other organizations, labor unions and community groups.
- Move organizations, labor unions and community groups in alignment with our candidates and issue campaigns.
Develop and implement a co-governance strategy with movement electeds
- Establish and maintain legislative relationships with movement electeds and their staff
- Manage legislation tracking and rapid response campaigns.
- Build out systems of co-governance and deep community accountability
- Build out a political training academy for elected officials and legislative staff
- Create progressive bloc of movement electeds
Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience in grassroots organizing, labor, and/or electoral campaigns, preferably with experience in building grassroots political power with a culture of democracy and debate. Experience running for office or managing a electoral campaign preferred.
- A willingness to pick open and principled fights with entrenched economic and political power (including a fight over the leadership and direction of the Democratic Party), while talking explicitly about how the powerful are using racism and fear to divide us.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and experience working in rural areas and/or communities of color
- Strong commitment to racial, social, economic and gender justice
- Strong commitment to independent, innovative political action by and for working people
- Proven track record of planning, managing and executing electoral campaigns preferred.
- Experience managing team members in a supportive and accountable environment
- A goal-driven, detail-oriented self-starter and problem-solver with ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Experience with and knowledge of Pennsylvania politics and relationships with elected, movement, labor and community leaders preferred.
- Experienced institutional and grassroots fundraiser.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Salary and Benefits:
Salary range is $75-90,000 FTE. PA Stands Up offers a competitive benefits package including healthcare and generous time off policies.
How to Apply:
Please submit a RESUME and LETTER that describes your experience, commitment, and any relevant personal background to email@example.com. Put “Political Director” in the subject line.
Source: Pennsylvania Stands Up Jobs