WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
The Communications and Marketing Team is responsible for managing ActBlue’s communications, as well as our online and in-person presence. The Press Associate will help monitor direct press hits and wider industry coverage; promote the incredible work small-dollar donors around the country are doing, both internally and externally; and work with the rest of the team to achieve strategic teamwide goals. This position is perfect for someone passionate about politics, advocacy, and our mission of empowering small-dollar donors.
The person in this role is expected to work Eastern Standard Time hours, due to the nature of the role in driving the day’s press work across the organization and the importance of keeping up with news from Washington, D.C..
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Monitor direct and indirect press hits daily, including sending morning news clips to the entire organization (expected by 8:30 AM ET).
- Monitor press and media trends through media monitoring/social listening platforms and distribute real time updates to relevant stakeholders
- Work closely with our outside PR firm to respond to press requests, ensuring requests are handled by reporter deadlines.
- Help write op-eds, press releases, and internal and external talking points.
- Watch live and monitor congressional hearings, Supreme Court decisions, campaign launches, debates, protests, and other political or advocacy events as needed.
- Help coordinate the release of sitewide fundraising numbers and other ActBlue-driven narratives via blog post, press release, social media, and other channels to maximize press coverage.
- Copy edit and fact check communications with the press.
- Assist in rapid response moments, keep an eye on incoming media requests outside of working hours, including weekends, and occasionally work early mornings, nights, and weekends as needed (sometimes on short notice based on what’s happening politically or stories that we are expecting to drop).
- Be the first to know about new developments in online fundraising, Democratic politics, nonprofit fundraising, and campaign finance law.
- Contribute to the ActBlue blog as needed.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Experience working on a campaign, with a related political organization, a PR/communications agency, or news outlet.
- Experience writing for multiple audiences, such as members of the press, clients, and the general public.
- Exceptional communication skills including an ability to communicate across multiple mediums with multiple stakeholders and strong writing and copy editing skills.
- Strong judgment and discretion.
- Ability to understand and translate complex data.
- Interest in growing external networks.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple competing projects.
- Incredible dedication to detail — you should sweat the small stuff.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment that can change at a moment’s notice.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in all dimensions of your work.
- Interest in campaign finance laws and legislation and a passion for politics, organizing, and small-dollar fundraising.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. Travel may be required on a limited basis to attend all-staff and departmental retreats (1-2 times per year). Additional travel may be required for select positions. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Salary Range Details:
Salary Range: $65,000-$76,500
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Bargaining Unit position: The terms and conditions of this position are subject to a collective bargaining agreement with the Campaign Workers Guild, the exclusive bargaining agent of covered ActBlue employees.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position. If you would like to request an accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.