WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
As a Product Designer with ActBlue Technical Services, you'll have a direct impact on our team’s mission to advocate for and build accessible, inclusive, and consistent experiences for all users of ActBlue’s tools. In the first quarter of 2022 alone, our platform handled over $380 million in contributions for 14,352 campaigns and organizations.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of 75+ people (and growing!). We’re organized into cross-functional teams that operate independently in alignment with the broader organizational goals. In this role, you will work with agency and in concert with designers, researchers, product Managers, and engineers. Your manager will be your champion and coach, supporting your individual growth while you contribute to the excellence and advancement of our platform.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Design and build new features that support a diversity of end users (including campaigns and organizations, donors, and users of our internal tools);
- Act as an advocate for our end users and encourage a people-focused design mentality throughout the product development life cycle;
- Use research and data to inform and implement solutions;
- Collaborate closely with Research, Product Management, Engineering, and Data to identify opportunities and solutions for our users;
- Help define and articulate design approach as well as project and team goals;
- Partner closely with Engineering to ensure our implementations are of the highest quality;
- Work closely with other designers and engineers to grow, document, and maintain our design system’
- Help to build a collaborative, inclusive team culture
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Our design stack: Figma, Adobe Suite, Miro
- Our tech stack: Storybook, Styled Components, React, and other modern front-end technologies
Please note that experience and expertise in these specific tools and technologies are not necessarily required. We care more about your problem-solving skills, general design competencies, and adaptability.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- A strong portfolio that articulates your process and the way you think about your work
- Experience working with design systems and component-based design
- Great communication skills and the ability to present and talk about your work effectively
- Comfort researching, wireframing, creating high-fidelity prototypes, and collaborating with product managers and engineers to see a project through completion
- Experience designing for accessibility across all browsers and devices
- The ability to design features that are performant and technically feasible
- A desire to expand and improve soft and technical skills through mentorship
- Comfort collaborating with a distributed team of many remote colleagues
- An inclusive, generous working style: You like to mentor, collaborate, and elevate your team by supporting your peers
Nice to have, but not required:
- A track record of curiosity in adopting new technologies or methodologies and bringing back what you’ve learned to improve your team’s work
OUR DESIGN PRINCIPLES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than tools or technologies.
- We believe in humanizing our work by designing for accessibility and inclusion.
- We believe in high-level thinking as well as being detail-oriented; we focus on pixel-level details and microinteractions while also considering how details can ripple out at scale.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes the benefits listed below:
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.