Progressive Maryland is hiring 5 community organizers for the following regions:
-Prince George's County
-Southern Maryland (Annapolis/Anne Arundel County)
-Central and Western Maryland (Baltimore County/Frederick County)
Our organizers work to sustain and expand PMD's organizing work by developing their local PMD chapter and engaging community members in ongoing campaigns. Organizers build an ongoing base of volunteers and community leaders who identify with and support the mission of Progressive Maryland, as well as lead on issue campaigns in their county with our members. Organizers participate in solidarity in statewide issue campaigns with PMD members from other chapters across the state. Organizers also build relationships with allied organizations and elected officials in their jurisdictions. Under the supervision of our Director of Organizing, organizers work in concert with staff organizers in other jurisdictions to execute grassroots organizing plans that further PMD’s programmatic goals.
● Build grassroots power around multiple issue campaigns
● Recruit, develop and train PMD members to take positions of leadership with issue campaigns
● Recruit, manage, and train PMD members to build community relationships, canvass, and door-knock before, during, and after election season
● Use phones, social media, and community outreach techniques to recruit and identify prospective members
● Cultivate grassroots donors by creating positive leadership relationships with members
● Meet base-building and outreach goals, which are tracked and reported in an accurate and timely fashion each week
● With the support of the Director of Organizing, develop and implement organizing plans
● Represent PMD at community events and meetings
● Experience leading on a social justice issue and/or progressive electoral campaign
● Direct experience in grassroots community organizing, canvassing, and phone banking
● Basic computer literacy and a willingness to quickly learn and use new digital platforms
● Ability to meet deadlines under pressure while handling multiple projects
● Ability to work independently, as a member of a team, and a team lead
● Ability to train and manage member volunteers
● The ability to think, reflect, communicate, challenge the conventional wisdom, make judgments in complicated situations, and show flexibility
● A clear sense of the challenges our communities face, impatience in the face of those wrongs, and a drive to address them
Pluses (but not required)
● Familiarity with Maryland political systems on the city, county, and state level
● Experience with Votebuilder/VAN and other campaign platforms
Travel: All positions require reliable access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license, laptop, phone, and willingness to travel regularly in your county and, as needed, elsewhere in Maryland.
Salary, Benefits, and Position Details: Salary is commensurate with experience between $40,000-$50,000. Benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid vacation, personal days, and holidays.
To Apply: Please send a 1-page or less story of self that tells us why you want to be or became an organizer, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com with “Community Organizer” in the email subject line. Only complete applications submitted by email will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until hires are made.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Progressive Maryland
Progressive Maryland was founded to empower communities to act for social and economic justice by developing leaders and cultivating allies in order to build a grassroots movement with the power to advance economic, racial, and environmental equity. We are made up of over 125,000 individual members and supporters and dozens of affiliated religious, community and labor organizations statewide.