The Director of Organizing takes responsibility for building a network of cohesive, effective, and relational member leaders and volunteers for the organization by managing our team of six community organizers. The Director of Organizing oversees all recruitment of new supporters and development of volunteer member leaders who both a) identify with and support the mission of Progressive Maryland, and b) commit to power-building for the world as it should be. Under the supervision of our Executive Director, the Director of Organizing analyzes (past, current, and future) issue and electoral campaign strategies and the planning, execution, and debrief of grassroots outreach plans to further the ideologic and programmatic goals of the organization. In coordination with the Director of Development and Policy, the Director of Organizing also manages the execution of periodic grassroots fundraising and membership drives.
● Manage our team of six staff community organizers
● Develop and implement organizational outreach and organizing plans
● Ensure organizational base building and grassroots fundraising goals are met and tracked in a consistent and accurate fashion
● Oversee the development of Progressive Maryland regional chapters
● Manage our member training and development program, the Maryland People’s Leadership Institute
● Strong commitment to building grassroots power by organizing individuals to take collective action
● Experience leading on a social justice issue and/or progressive electoral campaign
● Direct experience in grassroots community organizing, canvassing, and phone banking
● Basic computer literacy and a willingness to quickly learn and use new digital platforms
● Ability to meet deadlines under pressure while handling multiple projects
● Ability to work independently, as a member of a team, and a team lead
● Ability to train and manage community organizing staff
● The ability to think, reflect, communicate, challenge the conventional wisdom, make judgments in complicated situations, and show flexibility.
● A clear sense of the challenges our communities face, impatience in the face of those wrongs, and a drive to address them
Pluses (but not required)
● Familiarity with Maryland political systems on the city, county, and state level
● Experience with Votebuilder/VAN and other campaign platforms
● Experience with and/or understanding of a broad range of racial, economic, gender, social, and environmental equity issues
Travel: All positions require reliable access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license, laptop, phone, and willingness to travel throughout Maryland (as needed).
Salary, Benefits, and Position Details: Salary is commensurate with experience between $60,000-$70,000. Benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid vacation, personal days, and holidays.
To Apply: Please send a 1-page or less story of self that tells us why you became an organizer, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Organizing” in the email subject line. Only complete applications submitted by email will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a hire is made.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Progressive Maryland
Progressive Maryland was founded to empower communities to act for social and economic justice by developing leaders and cultivating allies in order to build a grassroots movement with the power to advance economic, racial, and environmental equity. We are made up of over 125,000 individual members and supporters and dozens of affiliated religious, community and labor organizations statewide.