About Run for Something
Run for Something recruits and supports young progressives running for down-ballot offices in the United States. Since launching in 2017, we’ve recruited 116,000+ young people who want to run, and we’ve endorsed over 2,200 candidates across all 50 states + DC. We’ve elected 640 candidates across 48 states – 56% are women, 58% are BIPOC, and 21% are LGBTQIA+. and all are under the age of 40. Our alumni have meaningfully and intentionally made life better for millions of Americans across the country. We are a high-reaching, hungry team changing the face of politics in America. Learn more about our work in this clip.
The Run for Something network includes Run for Something (a 527 non-federal PAC), Run for Something Action Fund (a 501c4), and Run for Something Civics (a newly launched, non-partisan 501c3).
We have ambitious plans for 2022 and beyond. Read about them in our Strategic Plan here.
We highly encourage all job applicants to visit our careers page to learn about our work environment, values, compensation and benefits policies, interview process, and more. The deadline for applications is August 14.
Position Name: Senior Political Manager
Reporting Structure: This role reports to the Political Director
Location: Remote (U.S.)
Job Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Essential Duties: The essential duties of this role are partnership development, project coordination, and program team management
Run for Something is currently hiring for a Senior Political Manager. In this role, you will report to the Political Director. Your primary responsibilities are threefold. First, you will be responsible for cultivating, developing and maintaining our national partnerships. Second, you will be the project manager for specialty initiatives and organization-wide candidate recruitment efforts. Third, you will be responsible for supporting the political director in executing departmental goals and cross-departmental programming.
The Senior Political Manager will help RFS accomplish our strategic imperatives via:
- Partnership development (60% of time):
- Executing day-to-day responsibilities related to partnerships with organizations. This includes tasks such as organizing webinars, interfacing with partners to ensure our candidates get access to relevant trainings, coordinating the development of microsites and other collateral, and ensuring that information from partners makes it to the relevant team members.
- Coordinating with the Political Director and leadership to deepen relationships with current and key partnerships
- Developing and executing a partnership program that includes specific goals, prioritization, and objectives
- Developing and maintaining a partner outreach tracker to include relevant notes, decisions, and action items
- Vetting potential vendors (and their tool/service) and other similar partners to determine whether an opportunity might be a good fit for the org or our candidates
- Project coordination (20% of time):
- Coordinating cross-departmental efforts on complex projects, including but not limited to:
- In partnership with Elections & Endorsement Manager, oversee Temporary responsibility for the vetting process of candidate endorsements with the other staff members
- In partnership with the Elections & Endorsement Manager (who the Senior Political Manager will supervise), ensure completion of election results tracking responsibilities. Run for Something candidates are running in elections throughout the year, not just on the first Tuesday in November.
- Leverage strategic partnerships to assist RFS-endorsed candidates
- Identify “right fit” partners to collaborate on Run For Something programming such as our See Yourself Running series or outreach events
- Manage, mentor, and coach staff in line with RFS values and performance management standards to ensure relevant key performance indicators are met; identify and support areas for professional development; ensure RFS performance standards and values are apparent through all reporting lines
- Coordinating cross-departmental efforts on complex projects, including but not limited to:
- Program team management (approximately 20%):
- Creating and executing internal program team processes such as weekly meeting agendas, action items, and follow up, or collecting and analyzing weekly reports from team members for team-wide takeaways
- Executing on administrative tasks such as developing memos/plans for partners and funders for the Political Director, Chief Campaigns Officer, and/or co-founders.
- Based on staffing needs, directly hire and manage interns and entry level departmental staff; manage, mentor, and coach staff in line with RFS values and performance management standards to ensure relevant key performance indicators are met; identify and support areas for professional development
Success in this role will look like:
- Successful implementation of current and new partnerships, development of a regularly updated partnership tracker, and a positive feeling from partners after having worked with Run for Something.
- Assist in the development and implementation of departmental systems, processes and cross-departmental programming.
- Maintaining tracking and reporting of departmental KPIs and progress to goals
- Experience on multiple state or local electoral campaigns
- Understanding of the needs of state and local candidates
- Strong interpersonal skills to cultivate strategic partnerships
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Extremely well organized
- Detail oriented and results focused
- Strong political acumen – an innate interest in understanding the national political landscape
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in managing staff/direct reports
- An ability to lead/coach junior level staff and mentor team to accomplish goals
- Ability to stay on top of multiple projects
- Ability to work independently in a remote environment
- Strong commitment to the RFS mission
- Ability to work in and contribute to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment
- Ability to pick up technology tools quickly
- Ability to demonstrate Run for Something’s organizational values: Bold & Fearless; Open & Honest; Supportive & Respectful; Progressive & Diverse; Long-term & Strategic. (Learn more about our Values in our Strategic Plan.)
- We value diversity at RFS, and strongly encourage applications from folks who are a part of marginalized communities who have been disproportionately affected by lack of representation in legislative bodies, including people of color, women, and the LGBTQIA+ and disabled communities.
- 6-8 years or professional experience
- Located in the Washington, DC, area to build deep relationships with partners and stakeholders
- Staff-level experience on one electoral campaign
- Experience coordinating with team members in a remote office environment
- Experience working cross-departmentally, especially in matrixed organizations and/or remote environments
- Fluency in more than one language
Run for Something is (and always has been and will be) a remote office environment; you will collaborate with colleagues who are based across the United States. You should be prepared to either work from home or a location of your choosing.
When it is safe to do so, this position will require attendance at approximately 2 all-staff events per year, which may include overnight travel as well as quarterly travel to different target states to see our work in action.
This position requires the ability to work core hours, Monday through Thursday. This position may also require occasional night and weekend hours to support election watch across various time zones.
Salary for the Senior Political Manager is $108,500. In order to counter pay inequality and uphold internal parity, salaries are non-negotiable for new and current employees. Run for Something salary bands for a given staff level are benchmarked to the 75th percentile for our sector, and all new employees are paid at the entry point of those bands. Employees then have the opportunity to progress through current salary bands through annual cost of living increases and performance-based pay increases, and into new salary bands through promotions. Learn more about our compensation policy here.
Run for Something is not just an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building teams that reflect the diversity of our candidates, and to building equitable and inclusive environments that fully leverage the skills, potential, and unique perspectives of our employees.
Essential Physical Requirements
- As this is a remote position, the person in this position must be able to communicate with colleagues and partners via phone, including conference and video calls, as well as written communication such as Slack and email.
- The position requires the ability to work on a computer for all or part of the work day.
- The position requires the ability to attend events which may encompass all or part of the work day, including overnight travel when necessary
- This position requires the ability to work set, core hours, Monday through Friday.
- Four Day Work Week (learn more here)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- Platinum Medical Insurance (100% of premium covered for employees; 50% of premium covered for dependents)
- Dental and Vision Insurance (99.9% of premium covered for both employees and dependents)
- Professional Development Stipend
- Treat Yourself Stipend ($500 a year to do something that brings you joy)
- Equipment Stipend
- Work from Home Stipend
- Cell Phone/Internet Stipend
- 12 weeks paid family leave
- Paid Sabbatical (after 3 years of service to RFS)
- ~ Four weeks in organization-wide holiday closures, including a two-week winter – break
- Flexible, remote work environment
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, with priority review given to earlier applications. The deadline for applications is August 14.
Learn more about our interview process here.
No phone calls, emails, or social media inquiries, please. Due to the volume of applications, we are unable to respond to individual inquiries. We know that applying to jobs is difficult, and we do our best to alert every applicant as to their status in the process. However, be aware that you may not receive a response from us until after the application deadline has passed.
This search is being led by NRG Consulting Group.