Organizational Description: San Francisco Rising is an alliance of long-standing (10-45 years old) grassroots organizations organizing African-American, Latino, Chinese, and Filipino communities in San Francisco for housing & worker rights, environmental & racial justice, and youth & women’s empowerment. We seek to build the political power of our communities to win lasting change on a broad set of issues including college for all, truly affordable housing for low and middle income families, worker rights, and just immigration policy.
Position Overview: The Communications Manager (CM) will be responsible for leading communications work related to SF Rising’s campaign and organizational communications. This position will lead the overall communications work in the organization, and has the potential to also be engaged in programmatic, event planning, fundraising, or organizing work depending on the skills of the applicant. The CM will supervise any consultants that are hired in the future, and may also work closely with other staff to implement communication work plans. We’re looking for someone who is excited to join a dynamic grassroots alliance and coordinate and implement communications work that contributes to our ambitious political goals. We seek a self-directed, driven, team player who is motivated to build and harness grassroots energy to be part of a larger movement through developing a regular and robust communications work plan for the organization, social media, email newsletter, and timely and updated website content.
SF Rising is a collaborative and supportive work environment, committed to supporting the leadership of our staff through regular supervision. The CM reports to the Executive Director.
The CM may be assigned to work on projects for SF Rising’s sister organization, SF Rising Action Fund.
Communications Implementation & Strategy:
- Create a social media calendar and develop content for all our platforms: IG, Twitter, FB, and potentially others
- Produce a monthly email newsletter highlighting campaign work and other updates
- Maintain website and create content about our work
- Create comms materials for campaigns, such as voter guides and endorsement announcements
- Graphic design work for events, outreach materials, or communications as needed
- Develop overall communications strategy with SF Rising leadership and implement and evaluate plans
- Identify strategic communications goals, audiences, messaging, and key performance indicators for campaigns and advocacy in collaboration with SF Rising staff and leaders
- Pitch reporters, earn media, and build relationships with local, regional, and national journalists towards partnerships and in service of the organization
- Create and oversee a communications budget
Capacity-Building and Communications Infrastructure:
- Develop curriculum and organize communications trainings for member organizations and SF Rising staff as needed, including on communications strategy and planning, media relations, messaging, and digital organizing
- Organize story bank and collection of audio, video, and photo documentation as needed for campaigns
Digital Communications and Design:
- Oversee digital organizing program, including growth strategies, digital organizing training for member organizations, field program support, and email and mobile programs
- Create and support digital analytics program, building out tracking, testing, and analysis
- Develop and hold a high-level view of all external communications materials (newsletter, website updates, social media updates, handouts, videos, flyers etc.)
Program Management & Organizational Support:
- Supervise and train communications fellows, interns, volunteers, or consultants.
- Participate in staff meetings, internal trainings, all-staff meetings and retreats.Contribute to fundraising activities including event planning and implementation, grassroots donor outreach and appreciation, etc.
- Support SF Rising’s “all hands on deck” culture in which other staff request active participation from all staff during critical moments of work. This may include attending community mobilizations, participating in voter outreach, making grassroots fundraising asks or other activities as needed.
- Commitment to racial, gender, economic and environmental justice, grassroots organizing, and building social movements
- Minimum of 2-5 years of relevant experience
- Ability to lead projects with direction and feedback from your supervisor
- Well organized and able to manage multiple projects
- Ability to follow through on tasks in a timely manner
- Excellent attention to detail
- Bilingual in English/Spanish highly desired, but not required
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Graphic design skills highly desired, but not required
- Familiarity with San Francisco or the Bay Area
Like all SF Rising staff, this position will generally work from home during shelter-in-place. We are open to applicants who are not currently living in the San Francisco Bay Area. In the future, this position will be based out of a San Francisco office.
Salary and Benefits:
Full time with an expected salary range from $58,000 – 68,000 (DOE), with full medical and dental benefits, plus generous vacation, sick time and holidays.
How to Apply:
Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Submit an online application here.
Attach a PDF of your resume, cover letter, and writing sample when applying. Applications will be reviewed as received. People of color, LGBTQI people, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Chinese Progressive Association is an equal opportunity employer. SF Rising is fiscally sponsored by the Chinese Progressive Association. Hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination and all other employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, national origin, citizenship/immigration status, veteran status or any other protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About San Francisco Rising
San Francisco Rising is an alliance of long-standing (10-45 years old) grassroots organizations organizing African-American, Latino, Chinese, and Filipino communities in San Francisco for housing & worker rights, environmental & racial justice, and youth & women’s empowerment. We seek to build the political power of our communities to win lasting change on a broad set of issues including college for all, truly affordable housing for low and middle income families, worker rights, and just immigration policy. Learn more at www.sfrising.org.