Job Title: Canvasser
Location: United States
Through the principles and practices of community organizing, Scale for Change scales and grows partner organizations to achieve their goals by organizing with, hiring from, and building for the communities they serve.
Scale for Change envisions a world where people, including the most marginalized, can express their truest selves, imagine infinite possibilities, and feel radical joy, vulnerability, and empowerment.
Scale for Change is seeking canvassers to participate in the organization’s direct voter contact program. The canvass travel team works in a variety of regions to provide additional support to field staff on the ground. Travel, housing, and transportation costs will be provided.
As a canvasser, you will travel door to door in the community to talk to voters. You will be responsible for having a certain number of conversations per day. If you’re fired up and ready to organize in your community, we urge you to apply!
This is an entry-level role. In this position, you will have the opportunity to:
- Work door-to-door or in high-traffic areas to talk to community members
- Track and report on your conversations daily in a database system
- There is no formal education requirement for this position
- Must have the physical stamina to stand/walk for long periods (up to 6 hours per day) while meeting and talking to people
- Comfortable with, knowledgeable of, and enthusiastic about discussing topics related to progressive politics, advocacy, and public policy
- Flexibility to work weekdays and weekends
- Ability to memorize and recite scripts and statements prepared and provided by Scale for Change
- Consistently meet daily and weekly conversation goals
- Understand how to use a tablet to track and submit data
- Excellent communication skills including active listening and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team and independently based on employer requirements
- Good time management skills to fulfill goals within a specific period
- Able to provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19, in accordance with company policy
- Ability to travel consistently during the contract period
- Previous experience with data entry and reporting functions
- Previous paid or volunteer canvass or fundraising experience (including Census outreach work)
- Telemarketing or retail marketing experience
- Social service or organizing experience
This is an hourly position with Scale for Change, with an hourly rate of $20. Based on performance, there is an opportunity to be promoted to a lead position that pays $22/hour. This is a short-term position with an expected end date of November 8, 2022.
Please apply on our website at scaleforchange.org/get-hired. We strongly encourage women, people of color, working-class, and LGBTQ people, as well as those with disabilities, to apply.
Scale for Change, LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Scale for Change, LLC is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
About Scale For Change
Scale for Change, through the principles and practices of community organizing, scales and grows partner organizations to achieve their goals by organizing with, hiring from and building for the communities they serve.
Jobs at Scale for Change allow you to get paid to make an impact in your community. We put our values into action: Scale for Change pays a living wage, offers benefits, we don’t have education requirements, and we strive to provide leadership development opportunities. We strongly encourage women, people of color, working-class, and LGBTQ people, as well as those with disabilities, to apply.
Former Scale employees have started as canvassers and now sit on our leadership team. If you’re passionate and ready to make a difference - join our team!