At the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, 32BJ SEIU is changing the narrative around important social and economic issues facing working families. 32BJ is the largest union of property service workers in the nation. Our mission is to build and grow a diverse, effective, politically independent organization of workers to change lives for the better, improve our communities, and build a more just society for present and future generations.
The Capital Area District of 32BJ represents 20,000 janitors, security officers, airport, food service and skilled maintenance workers. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and continue to fight for higher standards for thousands of unorganized workers.
We currently have an opening for a bilingual Grievance Representative (GR) to join our Contracts and Grievance Center in the Washington DC office.
The GR meets daily with members presenting workplace issues or grievances, answering contract questions and representing each member through a resolution process. Through the process, the GR may meet with employer representatives, 32BJ field representatives and attorneys, and others to investigate workplace issues, resolve grievances directly with the employer, or develop cases for arbitration.
The GR is charged with a high level of independent judgment to identify and act proactively on systemic workplace issues that could lead to grievances, and to negotiate the resolution of issues with employers.
The GR must be a persuasive advocate for the Union and its members, possess refined problem-solving skills, have the ability to mediate workplace disputes, and possess strong negotiation skills. They must be able to manage a large caseload and process grievances within contractually fixed time limits.
· Candidates must demonstrate a clear commitment to social justice, and an interest in representing workers from diverse backgrounds. Strong written and oral English and Spanish skills are required.
· Candidates must have strong listening and communication skills in order to work with diverse members who are presenting workplace issues.
· Strong writing and computer skills are required, as the GR is responsible for drafting grievance claims and correspondence, and is required to use 32BJ databases and an electronic grievance tracking system.
· GRs normally work regular business hours, but must have the flexibility to work evening and weekend hours if necessary.
· Candidates with union representation experience are preferred, but candidates with an interest in workers’ rights and relevant work experience (eg, in social work, or paralegal) may be considered.
The salary range for this role is $63,300 to 69,675. 32BJ provides a full benefits package that includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan for full-time employees and their qualified dependents. Our retirement benefits include a defined benefit pension plan and 401k.
Please send a resume and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “CAD GR” in the Subject line of your email. When applying be sure to indicate where you saw this job posting.
Please note 32BJ has implemented a covid vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and medical exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.
32BJ is an inclusive and diverse organization, committed to advocating for social, racial and economic justice. We promote diversity and strongly encourage applications from people who believe in our mission. We strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@seiu32bj.org