At the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, 32BJ SEIU is changing the narrative around important social and economic issues facing working families. 32BJ is the largest union of property service workers in the nation. Our mission is to build and grow a diverse, effective, politically independent and democratic organization of workers to change our lives for the better, improve our communities, and build a more just society for present and future generations.
With a commitment to building power for low-wage workers, 32BJ is engaged in winning strong contracts for members, organizing workers, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, such as paid sick days and expanding access to health care.
The Union has approximately 460 staff in sixteen offices from Boston to Miami. 32BJ SEIU represents over 175,000 property service workers including janitors, security officers, airport workers, and food service employees in 11 states and Washington, DC. 32BJ is an affiliate of SEIU, the Service Employees International Union, which has 2 million members dedicated to raising industry standards and making life better for all working families and communities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Residential Field Representative’s primary areas of responsibility are: member engagement, identifying and developing member leaders, member representation, contract campaigns, and negotiation of 6 – 7 single site Residential collective bargaining agreements annually. This position will also be part of the NJ Security Division Team with approximately 500 Security members that are under a Master Contract. This position reports to the New Jersey Staff Director and the Security Lead.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Identifying and developing Shop Stewards and member leaders in all assigned sites;
· Expanding the activist base of the Union by connecting members to a variety of district and union wide activities;
· Developing and executing worksite or company-wide contract campaigns;
· Assisting in organizing campaigns among non-union workers in our industries;
· Connecting member leaders with the broad movement for social and economic justice.
· Serving as the Residential Lead Negotiator during contract negotiations. Applicants with no or limited negotiations experience should apply as negotiations training and coaching will be provided.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will be able to lead, motivate and inspire members and demonstrate initiative in all aspects of the work while working under general supervision. As the sole Field Representative for the Residential division, the applicant must be able to develop division goals and execute appropriate work plans independently.
While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional skills and personal attributes:
· Demonstrated commitment to the social justice and labor movements;
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills; strong verbal and written English skills;
· Ability to cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
· Working knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining and contract administration issues;
· Experience drafting contract proposals, acting as Lead Negotiator, running a contract campaign;
· Strong organizational skills with ability to manage and prioritize deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, both individually and as a team member;
· Must be competent in administrative skills and be able to use basic computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Internet/email functions) as well as tracking and database tools;
· Bilingual English-Spanish
· This position is a full time position that regularly requires hours outside normal business hours, including some nights, weekends and holidays.
· This position is based in the Newark, New Jersey office.
· This position requires travel to worksites throughout the state of New Jersey.
· Valid driver’s license and use of a car required.
· This position requires traveling to worksites throughout the state and participating in events, marches and demonstrations.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The salary for Field Representatives starts at $63,300. 32BJ offers a generous benefits package that includes a fully employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan (for full-time employees and their qualified dependents) and retirement benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan and 401K. 32BJ offers paid time off including three weeks’ vacation, eleven holidays, twelve sick days, and, after the first year of service, four personal days. A weekly travel allowance is also provided. The Union currently offers a remote work policy of one remote day per week at the discretion of the manager.
Please send a resume and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “FIELD REP NJ” in the Subject line of your email.
Please note 32BJ has implemented a covid vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.
32BJ is an inclusive and diverse organization, committed to advocating for social, racial and economic justice. We promote diversity and strongly encourage applications from people who believe in our mission. We strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@seiu32bj.org