WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive, people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
The Communications and Marketing Department is the keeper of ActBlue’s brand and lead storyteller, managing all external communications, collaborating and assisting with internal communications, and promoting small-dollar fundraising on the left. The Department seeks an experienced Senior Communications Strategist to help carry out that work. Reporting to the Communications Director, the Senior Communications Strategist will be responsible for planning and executing communications strategies that advance ActBlue’s communications goals. We’re looking for an excellent communicator with experience working on Communications teams and helping to drive strategy, as well as strong project management skills and demonstrated experience putting together project plans and timelines, engaging stakeholders across teams, and driving toward project goals and meeting project deadlines. In addition, this person should have excellent writing and editing skills and keen attention to detail. Finally, this person should have a strong understanding of the Democratic political landscape.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Assist the Communications Director in developing and executing strategies to achieve ActBlue’s communications goals.
- In consultation with the Communications Director, develop and execute communication plans to help ActBlue reach its organizational goals.
- Project manage complex projects such as quarterly numbers reports and editorial calendar to ensure deadlines and goals are met.
- Ensure that all communications we publish are thoroughly edited, include accurate and up-to-date data, and adhere to communications plans.
- Create and manage an editorial calendar.
- Develop pitch strategies.
- Develop talking points and statements for rapid response and crisis communications.
- Write, edit, and proofread communications content, including talking points, press releases, blog posts, fact sheets/backgrounders, and social media content.
- Contribute to rapid response by helping to develop strategy, engaging stakeholders, project managing deliverables, and ensuring consistency and accuracy.
- Prepare staff for external events and media interviews.
- Willingness to work early mornings, evenings, and weekends when necessary to monitor political events and handle rapid response incidents.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 4+ years of communications experience. Experience can be gained from associations and nonprofits, campaigns, Capitol Hill, and/or agency experience or consulting firm that works with candidates or organizations.
- Experience leading communications projects and contributing to communications strategy.
- Strong project management skills to ensure projects are delivered accurately and on time.
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity and Inclusion (D&I).
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple projects at once.
- Knowledge of AP style and media monitoring software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment.
- Strong understanding of the Democratic political landscape.
BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE…
- Knowledge of Airtable or other project management systems.
- Understanding of campaign finance and related issues.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary: $76,000 – $95,000 depending upon experience
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.