WHO WE ARE:
At ActBlue we build and maintain a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors by making it easier for grassroots supporters to make their voices heard and by helping thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build people-powered movements.
If you’ve ever given online to a Democratic candidate or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our software. We’re a tech nonprofit organization, and our team has a big impact on the future of our country. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are seeking a Senior DevOps Engineer who is passionate about automation and building great tools in a security conscious environment. We offer autonomy, responsibility, and amazing in-office and remote colleagues geeking out about politics and tech all day, plus generous benefits.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Managing, monitoring, extending our mission critical web application infrastructure in AWS and other cloud providers in an elastically scalable, self-healing environment. Handling high volume is our priority.
- Being part of an on-call rotation. When alarms ring we respond immediately and effectively.
- Learning from alerts. After an event, we learn from it, continuously improving our infrastructure, monitoring, or applications to keep the same issue from ringing alarms again.
- Working with application developers and product “customers” to deploy and monitor new services repeatably, securely, at scale in cloud services.
- Building visualizations of our data to understand the performance of our systems and recommend improvements to remove bottlenecks and points of failure.
- Discovering, testing, and deploying upgrades to or replacement of components of our infrastructure, from simple OS packages, to database version upgrades, to cloud services, to wholesale architecture changes.
- Anticipating and proactively addressing security concerns from both process and technology standpoints.
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Our stack: Kubernetes, Docker, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Node.js, Redis
- Hosting: AWS
- Infrastructure As Code in Terraform
- Monitoring: DataDog, Statsd
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Very experienced with Linux system administration.
- Substantial experience GIT
- Experience in a programming language like Ruby, Python, or Golang.
- Experience developing and monitoring mission critical web applications.
- Knowledge of and a passion for repeatable configuration management using terraform in a multi-environment, collaborative team workflow.
- Experience with Kubernetes (we’re on EKS).
- Bonus: experience configuring and monitoring CDNs (we use Fastly).
- Bonus: experience with secrets management using Vault.
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
Follow us on Twitter @ActBlue
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION
ActBlue’s headquarters are located in Davis Square in Somerville, MA, just a few blocks from Boston’s MBTA Red Line train. This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. We are authorized to support remote work in CA, CO, FL, GA, MD, MA, MI, MN, NH, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT, DC, WA, and WI.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes commuter benefits or home office stipend; fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance; an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan; a generous professional development stipend; three months paid parental leave for all genders, adoptions included; and a flexible time off policy.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue cannot at this time sponsor work visas.