WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
As a Senior Financial Operations Specialist with direct access to the CEO and CFO, you will be part of ActBlue’s growing Finance team. You are primarily responsible for monitoring the cash flow of ActBlue’s various bank accounts and ensuring that ActBlue’s financial activity is recorded accurately in its accounting software. The Senior Financial Operations Specialist prepares a variety of complex financial and regulatory reports based on this financial activity, and is responsible for maintaining and managing ActBlue’s various cost-sharing relationships with other related organizations. You also assist with reconciliation of ActBlue’s operating bank accounts, maintaining ActBlue’s financial records and managing the Accounts Payable process.
The Senior Financial Operations Specialist will be a key thought partner to the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), especially with regard to accounting policy formation, the creation of new processes and systems, and the overhaul of previous financial practices, and will engage in higher level project management related to these topics. You also will serve as a resource for other members of the Finance team, at both a peer and junior employee level. You will assist senior leadership in making tactical and strategic decisions by providing detailed reports and dashboards. You will be a trusted resource and subject matter expert for departmental and executive leadership. This role reports to the Director of FP&A.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Perform the full cycle of financial / accounting operations for the month end close process
- Perform monthly operating bank account reconciliations and annual reconciliations of other specific accounts
- Monitor all of the organization’s bank operating accounts and cash flow on a daily basis to effectively support all organizational activities
- Ensure the accuracy of financial activity recorded in ActBlue’s books
- Ensure the financial activity in compliance with accounting policies and applicable government rules and regulations
- Manage cost sharing between related organizations and ensure timely and accurate recording of cost sharing activities performed by staff
- Provide accurate and timely financial and regulatory reporting to various authorities on a monthly and yearly basis
- Support the preparation of annual tax filings and independent audits
- Assist in corporate credit cards reconciliation to the ledger
- Assist in managing the Accounts Payable process and reconciliations
- Maintain financial records for various reconciliation and reporting purposes
- Provide ad-hoc support to the Director of FP&A including special projects, policies formulation and implementation, systems support, and process improvement initiatives
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 6-8 years of financial or accounting experience supporting an organization
- A bachelor's degree in finance or accounting
- Proven experience in performing the full cycle of financial and accounting operations close process
- Experience in cash management and bank accounts reconciliation to the ledger
- Experience developing and producing financial reports and analysis
- Experience managing stakeholders across the organization
- Experience leading short and long term projects with high level stakeholders across the organization
- Experience in identifying process gaps and deficiencies with solutions and execution
- Experience in cost sharing and allocations between departments and/or legal entities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, presentations skills, and a commitment to collaborate with people at all levels and with diverse backgrounds
- Medium to advanced technical skills to support financial reporting and variance analysis with accuracy and efficiency
- A strong interest in building processes and procedures and identifying opportunities for efficiency
- A natural curiosity and excellent organizational abilities
- Detail-oriented, aversion to error, independent requiring minimal supervision
BONUS POINTS IF:
- Experience with preparing and producing regulatory reporting for FEC, 8872 and 990s
- Experience with ERP implementation, system integration or conversion project
- Experience serving as an expert resource on function(s) with the team, managers and leaders across the organization and as a key thought partner for senior leaders
- CPA license and practices experience
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Salary Range Details:
Salary Range: $110,000 – $138,000
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Bargaining Unit position: The terms and conditions of this position are subject to a collective bargaining agreement with the Campaign Workers Guild, the exclusive bargaining agent of covered ActBlue employees.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position. If you would like to request an accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com to get started.