WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join ActBlue and help us shape the growth of our form contribution and creation experience. Our team is responsible for core aspects of the user interface of both sides of the ActBlue ecosystem: the donor contribution and the campaign or cause designing new form flows. In this role, you’ll work on maintaining and expanding features in both areas of the platform, with a primary focus on iterative experimentation that empower ease of use and connect donors to causes and campaigns. You’ll work closely with design and product partners to develop and refine accessible, scalable, and engaging improvements that make our contribution process as seamless as possible. The work you do on this team will be seen and felt by thousands of users across the country and the world.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of about 100 empathetic and passionate people. We’re organized into cross-functional teams that operate independently in alignment with the broader organizational goals. We work with Ruby on Rails, Postgres, React, Typescript, GraphQL, and other technologies.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work with your team to architect, refactor, and improve our donor-facing contribution form and admin-facing form creation user experiences
- Guide the design and execution of technical solutions that prioritize the highest impact opportunities while balancing effort, scope, and other trade-offs
- Collaboratively design and champion best practices and design patterns to improve the maintainability of the platform
- Demonstrate technical leadership through writing documentation, establishing effective monitoring, and fostering clear and audience-oriented communication
- Coach and mentor other engineers on your team and create spaces for individuals to be engaged, valued, and heard
- Receive support from your manager to grow as an individual and increase your impact on the success of your team and the progressive movement
WHAT YOU BRING:
Here is a non-exhaustive list of things we’re looking for:
- Experience developing front end features from design and discovery through to deployment and monitoring – preferably experience working with React
- Some experience making necessary changes to APIs in order to carry a feature to completion
- Excitement for the learning and growth of yourself and your teammates
- An understanding of performance, scalability, and security concern
- Ability to write technical proposals that clearly articulate risks and tradeoffs
- A track record of working closely with product and design teams to iterate on and refine product requirements
- Eagerness to explore and refactor legacy code – we’ve been doing this for a while now, and could use an engineer who brings an empathetic but forward thinking approach to working in an older codebase
- A team player mentality; You keep the end user in mind and enjoy hearing feedback from your teammates, yet know when and how to defend your own ideas in a respectful manner
- Comfort collaborating with a distributed team of many remote colleagues
- An inclusive, generous working style: You like to mentor, collaborate, and elevate your team by supporting your peers
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: $157,791 – $170,499, depending on experience.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
- Prof dev budget
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.