WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer II to join ActBlue and help us shape the growth of our platform to better serve down ballot candidates. In this pivotal role, you will join a newly formed team and work in concert with other product teams, data teams, platform and ops teams, and the security team. You will identify and execute high-impact improvements with other stakeholders that unlock new product opportunities and ensure ActBlue's core systems' of reliability, predictability, maintainability, and scalability.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of 75+ people and is continuing to grow! We’re organized into cross-functional teams that operate independently in alignment with the broader organizational goals. We work with Ruby on Rails, Postgres, React, Typescript, GraphQL, and other technologies.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Collaborate with software engineers, product, and design to develop a new candidate-facing product and features for down ballot, local, and grassroots campaigns.
- Design products and systems with performance in mind so all candidate users have a great experience.
- Architect, refactor, and improve our core systems using well-accepted design patterns to facilitate the delivery of secure, scalable, and reliable new features.
- Guide and spearhead the implementation of substantial team projects, which entail collaborating with multiple engineers, our product manager, and designers, tackling intricate requirements, and navigating through significant ambiguity.
- Guide the design and execution of technical solutions, prioritizing high-impact opportunities while balancing effort, scope, and other trade-offs.
- Work across the stack using Ruby on Rails, React, TypeScript, GraphQL, and PostgreSQL in your daily work.
- Advise on and design data structures and APIs to support new features and refactors.
- Mentor and support engineers in improving their skills, including front-end React, Ruby on Rails, and PostgreSQL.
- Demonstrate technical leadership by writing documentation, establishing effective monitoring, and fostering clear, audience-oriented communication.
- Improve platform performance and maintainability through quality code, testing, monitoring, and documentation.
- Ensure product and feature quality through thorough PR reviews and QA testing.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team culture aligned with our values.
- Receive support from your manager to grow as an individual and increase your impact on the success of your team and the progressive movement.
WHAT YOU BRING:
Here is a non-exhaustive list of things we’re looking for:
- 5-7 years or equivalent of professional experience working with teams and delivering projects.
- Experience leading the execution of large projects involving multiple engineers and complex and ambiguous requirements.
- Experience in developing server-side web applications using Ruby on Rails and front-end web application development using React.
- Track record of collaborating effectively with fellow engineers to develop abstractions and patterns that make it easy to build reliable software
- Passion for turning ambiguous product ideas and requirements into experiments that help us learn what our down ballot customers value in a new product.
- Eagerness to explore, refactor, and optimize legacy code
- Team-oriented mindset, receptive to feedback, and skilled in constructive idea exchange. You keep the end user in mind and enjoy hearing feedback from your teammates.
- Comfortable working with a distributed team of remote colleagues.
- An inclusive, generous working style: You like to mentor, collaborate, and elevate your team by supporting your peers.
- Passion for personal and team growth and learning.
- Expertise in addressing performance, scalability, and security considerations.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. Travel may be required on a limited basis to attend all-staff and departmental retreats (1-2 times per year). Additional travel may be required for select positions. ATS is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin.
Salary Range Details:
Salary Range: $173,676 – $192,209
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Bargaining Unit position: The terms and conditions of this position are subject to a collective bargaining agreement with the Communications Workers of America, the exclusive bargaining agent of covered ActBlue Technical Services employees.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position. If you would like to request an accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com to get started.