WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join ActBlue and help us shape the growth of our form contribution and creation experience. Our team is responsible for core aspects of the user interface of both sides of the ActBlue ecosystem: the donor contribution within our Donor HQ product, as well as parts of the post-donation flow. In this role, you’ll work on maintaining and expanding features in both areas of the platform, with a primary focus on iterative experimentation that empowers ease of use and connects donors to causes and campaigns. You’ll work closely with design and product partners to develop and refine accessible, scalable, and engaging improvements that make our contribution process as seamless as possible. The work you do on this team will be seen and felt by thousands of users across the country and the world.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of about 100 empathetic and passionate people. We’re organized into cross-functional teams that operate independently in alignment with the broader organizational goals. We work with Ruby on Rails, Postgres, React, Typescript, GraphQL, and other technologies.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work with your team to architect, refactor, and improve user experiences with our donor-facing contribution form and admin-facing form creation
- Guide the design and execution of technical solutions that prioritize the highest impact opportunities while balancing effort, scope, and other trade-offs
- Collaboratively design and champion best practices and design patterns to improve the maintainability of the platform
- Demonstrate technical leadership through writing documentation, establishing effective monitoring, and fostering clear and audience-oriented communication
- Coach and mentor other engineers on your team and create spaces for individuals to be engaged, valued, and heard
- Receive support from your manager to grow as an individual and increase your impact on the success of your team and the progressive movement
WHAT YOU BRING:
Here is a non-exhaustive list of things we’re looking for:
- Experience developing front-end features from design and discovery through to deployment and monitoring – preferably experience working with React
- Some experience making necessary changes to APIs in order to carry a feature to completion
- Excitement for the learning and growth of yourself and your teammates
- An understanding of performance, scalability, and security concerns
- Ability to write technical proposals that clearly articulate risks and tradeoffs
- A track record of working closely with product and design teams to iterate on and refine product requirements
- Eagerness to explore and refactor legacy code – we’ve been doing this for a while now, and could use an engineer who brings an empathetic but forward thinking approach to working in an older codebase
- A team player mentality; You keep the end user in mind and enjoy hearing feedback from your teammates, yet know when and how to defend your own ideas in a respectful manner
- Comfort collaborating with a distributed team of many remote colleagues
- An inclusive, generous working style: You like to mentor, collaborate, and elevate your team by supporting your peers
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. Travel may be required on a limited basis to attend all-staff and departmental retreats (1-2 times per year). Additional travel may be required for select positions. ATS is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin.
Salary Range Details:
Salary Range: $157,791 – $170,499
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Bargaining Unit position: The terms and conditions of this position are subject to a collective bargaining agreement with the Communications Workers of America, the exclusive bargaining agent of covered ActBlue Technical Services employees.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position. If you would like to request an accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.