WHO WE ARE
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are seeking a Senior UX Engineer, who will join the Developer Experience team at ActBlue and maintain ActBlue’s Design System called Blueprint. Blueprint is a library of shared React components that are reused by multiple product teams and provide a cohesive experience across ActBlue products. You will collaborate closely with product designers and software engineers, who will be your thought partners on the usage, accessibility and delivery of design system components. We are searching for a person with experience working on and supporting a design system at scale.
We offer autonomy, responsibility, and amazing colleagues talking about progressive politics and tech all day, plus generous benefits. ActBlue is a remote first organization with office headquarters located in Somerville, Massachusetts. If you are located close to the office, you will have the opportunity to work in-office on a flexible schedule.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Author and maintain ActBlue’s Design System (Blueprint)
- Develop UI components in React and TypeScript that are accessible, performant, scalable, and robust
- Design maintainable and extensible APIs for components that are easily used by product engineers across the organization
- Write clean, semantic HTML and be comfortable styling with modern CSS techniques
- Collaborate with product designers and frontend engineers across ActBlue Technical Services, providing technical guidance and identifying opportunities to increase Blueprint adoption
- Contribute to the overall health of Blueprint by leveraging best practices and tools
- Advocate for UI/UX best practices, accessibility standards, and frontend performance
- Lead best practice discussions on design systems
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Our design stack: Figma, Miro
- Our tech stack: Storybook, TypeScript, Styled Components, React, and other modern front-end technologies
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Experience working with design systems and component-based design.
- Good eye for UI design and a preference for clean, user-friendly designs over superfluous ornamentation.
- You have strong familiarity with web accessibility.
- You have experience with packaging systems (Webpack, Rollup, etc.), frontend testing frameworks (Jest, React Testing Library, etc.), linting tools (ESLint, Prettier, etc.), Git, and Storybook.
- A team player mentality. You keep the end user in mind and enjoy hearing feedback from your teammates, yet know when and how to defend your own ideas in a respectful manner.
- Comfort collaborating with a distributed team of many remote colleagues.
- An inclusive, generous working style: You like to mentor, collaborate, and elevate your team by supporting your peers.
- Interest in progressive politics.
OUR DESIGN PRINCIPLES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than tools or technologies.
- We believe in humanizing our work by designing for accessibility and inclusion.
- We believe in high-level thinking as well as being detail-oriented; we focus on pixel-level details and microinteractions while also considering how details can ripple out at scale.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes the benefits listed below:
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including monthly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.
*ActBlue will never ask candidates to buy equipment, nor will we email from anything other than an actblue.com or actbluetech.com email address.