SAI is seeking a skilled and enthusiastic writer and communicator to join us as a Learning and Content Program Fellow, reporting to SAI’s Communications & Marketing Manager and working closely across program teams. The Fellow will play a key role in producing learning materials to support our programs, such as handbooks, reports, tools, trainings, case studies, and more. They will coordinate between departments and with both HQ and field staff to develop, edit, and design materials, helping to ensure that our wide variety of written content across many programs and audiences always connects back to SAI’s theory of change and core themes.
The ideal candidate for this position is a highly skilled writer and researcher, capable of quickly synthesizing information, making connections to larger themes and concepts, and communicating information effectively to target audiences across many types of media.
- Conduct research and author original content for learning materials (i.e., curriculum, training slides and videos, handbooks/guidance documents, tools, white papers, etc.) to support SAI’s global programs and teams
- Adapt content developed for one type of media (e.g., handbook) to be delivered through other learning channels (e.g., short video or training webinar) and for different audiences (e.g., corporate, workers, auditors, etc.)
- Edit and proofread technical and learning documents for voice and style, content and coherency, and connection to SAI theory of change and mission
- Coordinate with global staff to identify, test, and implement new learning channels appropriate for a wide variety of audiences (e.g., classroom training, webinar, self-paced courses, social media-based learning, podcasts, videos, tools & templates, etc.)
- Provide additional support across SAI’s Communications & Marketing functions as needed. Including, but not limited to:
- Writing proposals and reporting to funders;
- Managing events;
- Drafting content for website, newsletters, social media, etc.;
- Managing and updating social media, website, email marketing tools, etc.;
- Formatting and designing documents/materials/templates using SAI style guides;
- Planning and implementing strategic marketing and communications campaigns.
Qualifications and Core Competencies
- Required Experience & Education
- At least 3 years’ experience writing or developing content/learning materials on topics related to SAI’s work (labor rights, human rights, corporate social responsibility, social compliance, etc.) or equivalent level of experience
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in related field
- Preference for one or more of the following:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in related field
- Both non-profit and for-profit experience, or experience with a social enterprise
- Experience writing for international audiences (especially India, China, Latin America, or other SAI focus regions)
- Experience developing trainings, instructional/curriculum design, and/or Learning Management System (LMS) management (Absorb and/or Articulate, a plus)
- Experience writing about international workplace human rights, CSR, and labor issues
- Experience developing video content (planning, writing, editing, visual design)
- Experience writing for grants/proposals and/or grant reports
- Experience managing content development projects involving a diverse global team of experts and field staff
- Proficiency in a second language, especially Spanish, Italian, Chinese, or other language common in SAI focus regions
Skills & Characteristics
- Able to quickly distill complex information (both verbal and written) to create convincing and engaging content, including for business audiences
- Strong writer capable in a variety of short- and long-form media (e.g., technical publications, funding reports, presentations, blogs)
- Able to edit others’ writing for voice, clarity, structure, content, purpose, audience, etc.
- Organized, detail-oriented, able to multi-task and manage multiple deadlines
- Comfortable and proficient working and collaborating remotely on a daily basis
- Strong internet research skills
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills (written and verbal)
- Passionate about advancing human rights at work
To apply, please send 1) a resume, 2) a cover letter explaining how your experience fits the qualifications listed above, and 3) two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST include “SAI Program Fellow 2023” in the subject line of their email submission.
Writing Samples: For each sample, please state whether you are the sole creator and if/how others were involved in the result. We strongly prefer samples solely attributable to the applicant. Samples should show a range of writing skills, including technical writing (handbook, toolkit, etc.) and a training deck (if available). Finalists will be presented with an additional writing assignment before hiring.
SAI is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity makes us stronger and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Social Accountability International
Social Accountability International (SAI) is a global non-governmental organization working to advance human rights for workers around the world. SAI’s vision is of decent work everywhere—sustained by an understanding that socially responsible workplaces benefit business while securing fundamental human rights. SAI empowers workers and managers at all levels of businesses and supply chains through social standards and guidance, training and capacity-building programs, and convening partnerships that drive dialogue and consensus-based solutions. For more information about SAI, visit our website at https://sa-intl.org.