WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
ActBlue Technical Services is seeking a Software Engineer to join our Payments team to help build the technology that powers ActBlue’s significant daily transaction volume. The Payments Team’s critical areas include payment processing, recurring contributions, fraud mitigation, and internal tools that help teams within ActBlue with their payment-related workflows.
As a member of the Payments team, you will contribute to our inclusive environment and help to foster a culture that brings out the best in yourself and your colleagues. Your manager will be your champion and coach and will help ensure that you are able to grow professionally as an individual while you contribute to the excellence and advancement of our platform.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Own the payment life cycle from initial authorization to payout along with the rest of the Payments team.
- Provide technical leadership and vision in developing, testing, monitoring, and rolling out the next generation of our payments system.
- Identify high-impact opportunities to improve the quality of our code and the function of our platform; work with your team to understand trade-offs and define our roadmap.
- Break down large, unscoped challenges into concrete, technical plans.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Significant experience with server-side web application development
- Development experience with Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with developing payment systems.
- An aptitude for reasoning about and troubleshooting complex systems.
- Proactiveness, communication skills, and the ability to learn quickly.
- Proficiency in relational databases, preferably Postgres.
- Understanding of performance, scalability, and security concerns.
BONUS POINTS IF…
- You are proficient with Postgres.
- If you have AWS Certifications
- Experience working with webhooks
- Experience working with payment processors, particularly Stripe.
- Experience working with payment services APIs such as Google Pay or Apple Pay.
- Experience working with fraud mitigation systems, particularly Sift.
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Stack: Ruby on Rails, React, PostgreSQL, Node.js, Redis, Amazon Web Services.
- A team of passionate, curious, and innovative professionals.
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ATS is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: $157,791 (min) – $166,263 (mid)- $183,207 (max)
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all and celebrate each person’s unique qualities. We recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description, we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including for our online job application system. If you would like to request an accommodation when applying, please contact us at email@example.com.
*ActBlue will never ask candidates to buy equipment, nor will we email from anything other than an actblue.com or actbluetech.com email address.