WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are expanding our engineering leadership team. We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to support sound technical direction and ensure the integrity and smooth functioning of our Data Engineering Team. Our engineering and product organization is made up of 80+ people and growing. We’re organized into interdisciplinary teams of three to seven people with clear areas of complementary focus.
The Data Engineering Team’s mission is to build the systems to process the data that drives organizational insights. We build products that use our data to magnify the impact and improve the experience of small-dollar donors.
Engineering teams are charged with operating autonomously while maintaining alignment with the organization’s objectives. In this role, you will support this charge by working with your team's engineers, project manager, and senior engineering manager to determine strategic technical direction, foster transparency and engagement, and ensure successful cross-team communication and collaboration.
In addition to cultivating an inclusive environment that brings out the best in your team holistically, you will be directly managing and mentoring the individuals on your team. You will champion, coach, and challenge individual team members in concert with supporting the growth of the whole team.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Provide software development expertise and guidance for up to four engineers with diverse backgrounds and skills.
- Support the professional development of your direct reports (supportive feedback, goal-setting, regular check-ins, etc.).
- Work with engineers, project managers, data scientists, and the senior engineering manager to formulate product roadmaps.
- Drive essential and timely communication between teams.
- Ensure teams have the context and resources they need to achieve their goals.
- Collaborate with the rest of the engineering leadership to continually cultivate a work environment where everyone on the team can thrive.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- A track record of success in inclusive leadership.
- A strong faculty for software engineering and technical considerations.
- Adept project-scoping, planning, and management skills.
- Motivation to see your teams and the individuals on them, succeed.
- A personal commitment to fostering psychologically safe environments on your teams.
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- Security is at the center of everything we do. We are always on the lookout for ways to further harden our platform.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes the benefits listed below:
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.