WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are seeking a Staff DevOps Engineer who is passionate about “everything as code” and building a great cloud platform in a security-conscious environment. We offer autonomy and responsibility. You’ll have amazing colleagues – geeking out about politics and tech all day, plus generous benefits.
As a member of the Cloud Platform team, you will be directly responsible for the cloud-based foundation of our entire tech stack. Every ActBlue feature depends on this world-class platform. Help us make it faster, more resilient, and automated! Our team’s mission is to take the software development lifecycle and apply it to software-defined cloud resources.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
As a Staff-level engineer, you will be the technical lead (and partner with the team manager) for all phases of the software development lifecycle for our software-defined cloud resources:Plan: where you will work with external stakeholders (other engineering teams) to identify the business requirements and create quarterly roadmapsCode and Build: where you will use infrastructure as code
- Test and Package: where you will utilize unit and system-level validation
- Operate: where you will be cost-focused
Monitor: where you will be fine-tune observability
- You will extend our mission-critical infrastructure in AWS – to produce an elastically scalable, self-healing environment. Handling high volume is our priority.
- You will be part of an on-call rotation. When alarms ring we respond immediately and effectively.
- You will learn from alerts. After an event, we learn from it, continuously improving our infrastructure and/or monitoring to keep the same issue from ringing alarms again.
- You will build visualizations of our infrastructure to understand its performance and recommend improvements to remove bottlenecks or points of failure.
- You will drive our vision to stay continually compliant. By working with our security team, you will analyze our infrastructure configurations and make sure they meet industry standards, for attestation.
- You will break down silos by continually reaching across boundaries to work collaboratively with your peers in different teams, groups and organizations.
- You will be responsible for decisions that have broad organization-wide impacts, and take into account all dependencies.
- You will operate autonomously, with strategic support from your manager and leaders to ensure alignment with organizational priorities.
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Stack: AWS-hosted Resources
- Compute = EC2
- Containers = EKS
- Storage = S3
- Databases = RDS
- Networking = VPC, Route 53
- Governance = CloudTrail
- Security = IAM, Secrets Manager
- Application Integration = Simple Queue Service
- Tooling: Terraform, Flux, Jenkins, Github Actions
- Costing: AWS Cost Explorer
- Monitoring: Datadog
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 7+ years of experience as a Cloud Engineer, DevOps Engineer or SRE
- The ability to leverage your technical expertise not just to tackle the most challenging problem in sight but to empower, teach, and build systems of support that allow others to succeed.
- The experience of recommending system-level improvements related to infrastructure and comfort acting as a go-to consultant for other team engineers.
- Experience in “everything as code” (infrastructure, configuration, policy, monitoring).
- Fluency moving between design and implementation.
- A track record of effective collaboration with other engineers to develop abstractions and patterns that make it easy to build reliable infrastructure.
- Ability to take a long-term view when it comes to inevitable tradeoffs.
- An understanding and desire to co-create systems that help build psychological safety on the team: sharing learning with others, using peer review as an opportunity to celebrate and build others up, and a willingness to practice the duality of listening and leadership.
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- Security is at the center of everything we do. We are always on the lookout for ways to further harden our platform.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. Travel may be required on a limited basis to attend all-staff and departmental retreats (1-2 times per year). Additional travel may be required for select positions. ATS is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin.
Salary Range Details:
Salary Range: $191,679 – $216,566, depending on experience.
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Bargaining Unit position: The terms and conditions of this position are subject to a collective bargaining agreement with the Communications Workers of America, the exclusive bargaining agent of covered ActBlue Technical Services employees.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position. If you would like to request an accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.