The Texas Freedom Network (TFN) seeks a full-time Data and Technology Strategist based in Austin, Texas. TFN is a statewide non-partisan, grassroots organization that is building an informed and effective movement working toward equality and social justice.
The Data and Technology Strategist will oversee technical support and data wrangling. The primary responsibilities of the Data and Technology Strategist will be to provide technical administrative support and training for staff and volunteers and oversee and help maintain TFN’s data infrastructure. The Data and Technology Strategist will report to the Senior Digital and Technology Director.
Applicants must be located in Texas. Austin preferred, but not required.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Technical Support and Training: Offer comprehensive technical and administrative support to staff and volunteers for our tool stack. The current stack comprises VAN (EveryAction, MyVoters), ScaleToWin, Mobilize, New/Mode, and BigQuery.
- Data Analysis and Reporting: Collaborate with teams to compile relevant metrics, generate insightful reports, and create visual dashboards that contribute to data-driven decision-making.
- Data Pipeline Oversight: Continuously monitor and troubleshoot data pipelines connecting databases, tools, and dashboards to ensure seamless data flow and accuracy.
- Data Maintenance and Quality Control: Execute routine data maintenance and quality control tasks to maintain the integrity and reliability of our data assets.
- SMS and Phonebank Management: Take charge of setting up and overseeing SMS and phonebank outreach initiatives. This involves tasks such as data and script uploads and providing technical guidance to staff and volunteers.
- Digital Engagement Team Collaboration: Act as an integral part of our broader digital engagement team, supporting program, GOTV, and voter engagement projects.
Qualifications and Skills
- Data Management Experience: 2+ years of experience in a role involving data management or equivalent training and certification in data management.
- Dedication to Progressive Values: Demonstrated commitment to progressive values, aligned with the mission and objectives of the Texas Freedom Network, and a strong affinity for the programs Texas Rising and Just Texas.
- Meticulous Attention to Detail: Proven ability to work with meticulous attention to detail, ensuring data accuracy and reliability in a fast-paced environment.
- Team-Centric Attitude: A positive and service-oriented mindset, capable of providing exceptional support to both internal teams and external stakeholders.
- Problem-Solving Skills: A solution-oriented approach to challenges, including the ability to independently troubleshoot issues related to data and technology.
- Passion for Data and Technology: Genuine enthusiasm for working with data and technology to achieve organizational goals, with a willingness to stay updated on emerging trends and tools in this field.
- Texas Voter Engagement Knowledge: Familiarity with Texas voter registration processes, voter contact programs, and campaign data management, including an understanding of the unique challenges and opportunities in the Texas political landscape.
- Community and Political Organizing Experience: Previous involvement in civic engagement organizing, labor or community organizing, or work on political campaigns, demonstrating a holistic understanding of grassroots advocacy.
- SQL Proficiency: Basic skills in SQL for data querying and manipulation.
- Data Visualization: Experience with data visualization tools, particularly proficiency in Periscope or Google Data Studio to create compelling and actionable visual insights from data.
- Advocacy Tool Familiarity: Knowledge of advocacy tools, including VAN (EveryAction, MyVoters), ScaleToWin, Mobilize, New/Mode, and BigQuery.
Salary: $60,000 – $70,000 (depending on experience)
100% employer paid medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer contribution, paid vacation, personal, sick, and parental leave.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Texas Freedom Network is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages people of color, ethnic minorities, women, and individuals from the LGBTQ community to apply.
About Texas Freedom Network
Founded in 1995, the Texas Freedom Network is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization of more than 150,000 religious and community leaders who support religious freedom, individual liberties and public education. Based in Austin, TFN acts as the state’s watchdog for monitoring far-right issues, organizations, money and leaders. The organization has been instrumental in defeating initiatives backed by the religious right in Texas, including private school vouchers and textbook censorship at the State Board of Education.