The Texas Freedom Network is a statewide non-partisan, grassroots organization that is building an informed and effective movement working toward equality and social justice.
The Advocacy and Field Organizer in South Houston will work on our youth engagement program, Texas Rising, and will primarily focus on management of our voter registration and get-out-the-vote program in South Houston.* This is a part-time position, working an average of 20-25 hours per week.
*South Houston refers to the region south of I-10 and includes the following college campuses: University of Houston and Texas Southern University. Applicants applying to this position will be assigned to work in this region.
- Recruit, train, and manage paid canvassing staff
- Coach, shadow, and make work plans with paid canvassing staff in the field
- Meet numerical expectations for daily contacts with voters
- Attend a day-long training, plus additional one-on-one training with the Regional Field Coordinator to learn about Texas Rising and your role
- Manage canvassing operation, including but not limited to: tracking hours, ensuring team members meet expectations, and coordinating logistics, including managing supplies.
- Maintain regular communication with the Regional Field Coordinator, including but not limited to providing reports on canvasser performance and progress toward campaign goals
- Take lead on local issue-advocacy projects in the region
- Job duties fluctuate based on political cycle
Qualifications & Skills
- Ability to work well with a team, take direction and feedback, and share skills and knowledge
- Ability to work with minimal supervision; self-motivated
- Ability to work around 4-6 hours a day for 4-5 days a week
- Must be willing to get deputized to register voters
- Must have access to a laptop, smartphone, and reliable transportation
- Previous experience in canvassing or other civic engagement campaigns required
- Bilingual: English and Spanish preferred but not required
- Management experience preferred but not required
Pay & Benefits
- $21 per hour
- Paid sick time
- $100/mo travel/phone/wifi use stipend
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Texas Freedom Network is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages people of color, ethnic minorities, women, and individuals from the LGBTQ community to apply.
About Texas Freedom Network
Founded in 1995, the Texas Freedom Network is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization of more than 150,000 religious and community leaders who support religious freedom, individual liberties and public education. Based in Austin, TFN acts as the state’s watchdog for monitoring far-right issues, organizations, money and leaders. The organization has been instrumental in defeating initiatives backed by the religious right in Texas, including private school vouchers and textbook censorship at the State Board of Education.