The Texas Harm Reduction Alliance (THRA) emerged in early 2019 in response to unprecedented opioid overdose rates and apparent statewide need for harm reduction policy advocacy, education, and capacity-building for direct services. We recently launched a new grassroots organizing project working to create healthy and just communities by building power among low-income people impacted by the drug war, mass incarceration, and homelessness. We do this through community organizing, leadership development, policy advocacy and direct action. We believe true social change must come from the bottom up and be led by those most directly impacted.
Texas Harm Reduction Alliance (THRA) seeks a Texas Organizer to join our team. Applicants should align with the organization’s core values, including racial justice and anti-racism and an understanding and commitment to the principles of harm reduction.
This team member will work with the organizing team to build the power and membership of THRA’s organizing project. They will lead work to recruit new members, develop community leaders, and mobilize members and leaders to meetings, protests and other events. Examples of campaigns the Texas Organizer will support: stopping the creation of a new women’s jail, expanding access to overdose prevention services, and winning affordable housing for the homeless.
The ideal candidate will have strong communication and leadership skills, and be eager to be in the community talking to new people every day. Candidates must be organized and believe in the transformative power of community organizing. Candidates must also demonstrate a deep commitment to social justice and be committed to building the power of low-income people who use drugs, people formerly incarcerated and people experiencing homelessness.
● Membership Recruitment: Achieve targeted membership recruitment goals through regular outreach at soup kitchens, shelters, sober homes, and/or methadone and harm reduction programs.
● Phone Banking: Conduct mass phone calls to new contacts made during outreach, and to existing members and leaders to mobilize them to action. In addition to directly phone-banking, the position will coordinate phone-banking for members.
● Data-entry: Manage data input from base building and phone banking in our organizing database.
● Mobilization: Turn out members to rallies, protests, meetings and other events through mass phone banking and relationship building.
● Leadership Development: Conduct trainings that build the knowledge and skills of people impacted by the drug war, mass incarceration, and homelessness.
● Issue ID: Assist THRA members in identifying advocacy issues, developing advocacy strategy, and implementation.
● Coalition building: Represent THRA organizing project in coalition spaces as needed.
● Lobbying: Direct and indirect lobbying of public officials around THRA’s organizing project priorities as needed.
● Overall Support: Work alongside organizing staff to ensure the overall execution of our community organizing and campaign goals. We have a highly collaborative work environment where staff provide support as needed, which is in part a function of our limited resources and ambitious scope of our work.
● Personal lived experience with incarceration, homelessness, and/or drug use.
● Deep commitment to approach our work with a racial justice and anti-racist analysis.
● Canvassing or community outreach experience strongly preferred.
● Willingness to work outside year round and engage in street outreach.
● A commitment to teamwork and to working with and promoting the leadership of people directly affected by the issues we work on.
● Ability to work as part of a team, receive and give feedback, and address conflicts and concerns in a healthy manner.
● Spanish language proficiency is desirable but not required.
● Must be able to communicate and coordinate with a diverse set of people including THRA membership, elected officials, and community partners.
More about the job: This full-time, salaried position will be a remote and/or based out of our Austin, Texas, office. Salary range for Texas Organizer is $50,000 – $60,000 per year, based on experience, with benefits including health, dental, vision, retirement, paid time off and holidays.
Equal opportunity statement: Texas Harm Reduction Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and does not to discriminate in employing staff, or selection of volunteers, on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, justice involvement or conviction, veteran status, financial status or HIV status.
How to Apply: Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org with Texas Organizer in subject line, in (.doc) or (.pdf) format:
● Letter of introduction including commitment to core values referenced above
● Current resume/vitae
● Contact information of three professional references