This will be The Outreach Team’s biggest year yet, and to ensure success in our campaigns we need people who are experts in voter targeting and turf cutting to backbone our operations on the ground.
Turf Directors are expected to support the work of voter contact and registration campaigns by making sure we are reaching the right voters in the right areas. Successful candidates will bring expertise in the many features of VAN and GSuite, along with a willingness to learn new mapping and database management systems. We are looking for people who are familiar with the demographic profile and walkability of the districts we’ll be working in, as well as a deep concern for canvasser health and safety. Responsibilities of the Turf Director will include turf packet preparation and cutting; canvass results data entry and analysis; data integrity surveillance; turf and precinct tracking.
If you are passionate about using data to advance progressive politics, join our team as a statewide Turf Director.
This position will begin ASAP, with likelihood to run through November. Please note we accept applications on a rolling basis and conclude our hiring process as soon as the role has been filled. This is a remote position.
Turf Director Responsibilities:
- Identify both our target precincts and our targeted subsets of voters in those precincts
- Track all voter registration information and voter registration campaign metrics with excellence that exceeds the expectations of our clients
- Accurately and rigorously maintain on a daily basis our voter registration file
- Train and provide ongoing motivation and support to staff
- Identify, promote, and train a leadership team
- Participate positively in a workplace where where staff feel respected, while fostering a culture of equity and justice
- Implement quality control measures to ensure integrity of the work, with particular emphasis on validity of compliance-crucial data fields (e.g. ZIP, birthdate, full voter name)
- Maintain a healthy and safe working environment for all staff
- Develop strategic plans to reach target voters/constituencies in assigned locations
- Strong management skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire a team while also holding staff accountable to goals and expectations
- Can speak compellingly about campaign issues and strategy
- Willing and able to listen to staff and solve problems
- Committed to equity and inclusion
- Strong work ethic; able to persevere in the face of challenges and setbacks
- Flexible; ready for the unexpected and willing to adapt to last minute changes
- Eager to learn and open to feedback
- Advanced VAN/VoteBuilder and GSuite competency (including but not limited to bulk uploads; fully formularized project reports; voter registration-specific database features)
- Electoral, community, or issue-based campaign experience
- Experience running paid canvasses or managing paid employees
- Passion for social change and activism
- Team building ability
- Attention to detail
- A track record of success meeting or exceeding goals
- Experience working in underserved or marginalized communities
- Facilitation experience
- Local knowledge/experience
- Knowledge of Michigan state law as pertains to voter registration
Please note we are prioritizing candidates who are local to Michigan for this role.
Salary: The salary range for this position is $1108-$1396 per week depending on responsibility and experience. Performance bonuses may be awarded at the midpoint and end of the campaign. We offer a generous benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance, a monthly phone stipend, and hands-on, paid training. At the end of the campaign, there may be opportunities for advancement.
Equity: If you are interested in this position but don’t think you qualify for everything, please don’t let that stop you from applying! At The Outreach Team, we prioritize equity and inclusion and believe our work is better when it benefits from the knowledge, experience, and wisdom of people who have faced systemic barriers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage Black, indigenous, people of color, women, people with previous felony convictions, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who identify with underrepresented groups to apply.
Who We Are
The Outreach Team is the national engine of campaigners and organizers powering the progressive movement. With an on-the-ground presence in communities all across the country, our world-class team runs successful civic engagement campaigns on behalf of progressive organizations and campaigns—to build a future that’s fairer, greener, safer and more peaceful for everyone.
Our client list includes organizations like Democratic National Committee, Black Progressive Action Coalition, Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund, Climate Action Campaign, Planned Parenthood, Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, For our Future, Solar Rights Alliance, The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, and more.
We are currently unable to hire people who reside in the following states: Alabama, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Utah, and West Virginia