We are currently hiring Voter Contact Field Directors to help contact voters in Oregon to mobilize voters for the 2022 midterm elections. Increasing voter turnout is one of the keys to addressing systemic issues impacting the most vulnerable communities in our country.
Directors will recruit, train, and manage a team of local canvassers on this voter contact campaign. COVID-19 has altered the political landscape, but one thing remains the same – we will need to have in-person conversations with people to contact voters in key House districts. Thankfully, we can do this in a way that is low risk. We will provide PPE and substantial health and safety training and we will all follow the canvassing protocols that will allow us to do this critical work while keeping ourselves and everyone else in our communities safe.
Location: Portland, OR
Canvass Management Responsibilities:
- Manage a team of 20 – 30 canvassers, setting goals and holding staff accountable
- Train and provide ongoing motivation and support to staff
- Identify, promote, and train a leadership team
- Build a diverse team where staff feel respected, while fostering a culture of equity and justice
- Implement quality control measures to ensure integrity of the work
- Go in the field yourself a few days per week to register voters, train staff, and help drive office goals.
- Maintain a healthy and safe working environment for all staff
- Develop strategic plans to reach target voters/constituencies in assigned locations
- Manage administrative duties, including reporting data, record keeping, processing payroll, and distributing materials
- Strong management skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire a team while also holding staff accountable to goals and expectations
- Can speak compellingly about campaign issues and strategy
- Willing and able to listen to staff and solve problems
- Committed to equity and inclusion
- Strong work ethic; able to persevere in the face of challenges and setbacks
- Attention to detail, ability to drive best practices critical for protecting the integrity of the registration process
- Flexible; ready for the unexpected and willing to adapt to last minute changes
- Eager to learn and open to feedback
- Basic tech competency (G-suite or Microsoft office, smart phone or computer)
- Community or issue-based campaign experience
- Experience running paid canvasses or managing paid employees
- Experience running voter registration or petition signature-gathering efforts
- Passion for social change and activism
- Team building ability
- Attention to detail
- A track record of success meeting or exceeding goals
- Experience working in underserved or marginalized communities
- Facilitation experience
- Local knowledge/experience
Salary: The salary range for this position is $1125 – $1423, per week. We offer a generous benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance, phone and data stipend, and hands-on training. At the end of the campaign, there may be opportunities for advancement and bonuses.
Equity: If you are interested in this position but don’t think you qualify for everything, please don’t let that stop you from applying! At The Outreach Team, we prioritize equity and inclusion and believe our work is better when it benefits from the knowledge, experience, and wisdom of people who have faced systemic barriers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage Black, indigenous, people of color, women, people with previous felony convictions, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who identify with underrepresented groups to apply.
Who We Are: The Outreach Team is the national engine of campaigners and organizers powering the progressive movement. With an on-the-ground presence in communities all across the country, our world-class team runs successful civic engagement campaigns on behalf of progressive organizations and campaigns—to build a future that’s fairer, greener, safer and more peaceful for everyone.
Our client list includes organizations like Democratic National Committee, Black Progressive Action Coalition, Black Futures Lab, Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund, Climate Action Campaign, Planned Parenthood, Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, For our Future, Solar Rights Alliance, The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, and more.
About The Outreach Team