Time of Day Media, an award-winning worker-owned digital agency based in Brooklyn, New York, is currently looking for a Finance / Human Resources Manager to oversee all of our financial and human resources responsibilities. The ideal candidate has at least 5 years of experience in small business and/or non-profit finance and human resources management. They are also someone who is excited to participate in and to build a worker-owned cooperative, committed to the mission and values of Time of Day, and able to work independently to help forge a brand new position for our growing agency.
Time of Day specializes in movement storytelling and strategy. We work with labor unions and non-profit organizations to inspire, engage, and organize our communities to win real change. We’ve helped the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) organize thousands of home care workers, we supported the New York Nurses Association (NYSNA) in its victorious 2023 strike, and we worked with the Asian American Advocacy Fund to help turn Georgia Blue. We are a women and POC-owned worker cooperative, proud union members of the Writers Guild of America, and a certified Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise by the City of New York. We are a small but tenacious team who are deeply committed to social justice and who also value work/life balance.
• Perform complex duties in financial budgeting, analyses and reporting to enable effective and efficient financial management of Time of Day.
• Establish and maintain proper controls, processes, and procedures ensuring records are accurate and in compliance with best accounting human resources standards.
• Evaluate multifaceted financial information, prepare reports indicating trends, provide recommendations to other co-op members and respond to inquiries for professional counsel related to financial information.
• Ensure clients are invoiced in a timely manner and payments are received within 30 days, follow up with clients on delinquent invoices and impose penalty fees.
• Ensure vendors are paid in a timely manner by keeping in close communication with staff about vendor invoices.
• Ensure that Time of Day LLC taxed as an S-Corp is in compliance with relevant Local, State, and Federal laws and regulations
• Design, improve and manage systems related to payroll (using gusto or similar 3rd party payroll provider), employee benefits, on-boarding and off-boarding employees, and general human resources.
• Coordinate initiatives on employee benefits, compensation, and other staff improvements
• Establish and maintain proper controls, processes, and procedures ensuring Time of Day is in compliance with benefits reporting as required by the Writers Guild of America (WGA).
Qualifications and Skills
• 5+ years of progressive financial accounting and and HR management experience
• Experience in budgeting, financial reporting and analysis or related areas, preferably in the not-for-profit sector;
• 5+ years of financial accounting Expertise in Quickbooks
• Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures; Knowledge of methods of financial analyses, modeling tools, internal controls, organizational structure, policies and procedures;
• Skilled at performing quantitative analyses; interpreting policy statements and statutes; drafting precise and concise reports; communicating results of financial analyses, both written and verbal; monitoring and overseeing operations and workflow; providing guidance and training to other co-op members;
• Management skills, and experience related to strategic and operational planning, program management, budgeting and control, and team building;
• Experience creating financial statements, with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close processes;
• Experience overseeing and managing project budgets;
• Experience with the labor movement is a plus.
Salary and Benefits
• Salary range $90,000 – 100,000
• FLSA: Exempt, Full-Time, 35 hours/week
• Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Generous paid time off
• Potential future union membership with benefits and pension
• Potential future ownership stake in the agency.
• Ability to work part-time from home (candidates expected to work from Brooklyn office 1-2 days per week)TO APPLY
• Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Finance / HR Manager” in the subject line.
• Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Priority review begins May 1st.
• For questions or more information, please email email@example.com
Time of Day is a certified Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise by the City of New York, women and people of color are encouraged to apply.