Hours: Part-time (20-30 hours/week)
Salary: $25 Hourly
VOCAL-NY is a grassroots membership organization working to create healthy and just communities by building power among people affected by HIV and hepatitis C, mass incarceration and the war on drugs. We do this through community organizing, leadership development, direct services, policy advocacy and direct action with the belief that true social change must come from the bottom up and is led by those most directly impacted.
This position will provide cleaning and general maintenance work to our facility to ensure the cleanliness of the building and keep the facility in good repair. The position will report to and be supervised by the Chief of Staff.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background of doing basic general maintenance and have experience in cleaning
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
- Provide basic cleaning in and around the facility including dusting, mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, and interior and exterior window cleaning
- Take garbage out from all offices daily
- Clean kitchenettes, cabinets, stoves, and microwaves to ensure sanitary conditions for cooking and eating
- Clean and sanitize restrooms, keep all paper products restocked, ensure operation of hand dispensers and paper towel dispensers
- Inspect and identify equipment or machines in need of repair
- Assist with basic moving of equipment and furniture
- Perform general repairs such as drywall, sanding and painting
- Installing and repairing wall mounted hardware such as coat racks, bulletin boards, and mirrors
- Perform minor fixes such as changing locks and replacing light bulbs
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools
- General carpentry and plumbing skills
- Ability to follow instructions to build furniture, cabinets, and other items that require assembly
- Excellent oral communication and listening skills.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Understanding of and commitment to basic harm reduction theory and practice.
- Minimum of 5 years of previous experience with performing general cleaning and maintenance
- VOCAL-NY is an equal opportunity employer. People with a history of drug use, women, people of color, people who are LGBTQ and people living with HIV/AIDS are strongly encouraged to apply.
VOCAL-NY offers a generous benefits package with an unlimited monthly Metrocard for travel, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and wellness and vacation time. Part-time employees who have worked at VOCAL-NY for at least 3 months and who work at least 20 hours per week are also eligible for 100% employer-covered health, vision, and dental insurance.
VOCAL-NY is an equal opportunity employer. People with a history of drug use, women, people of color, people who are LGBTQ and people living with HIV/AIDS are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information, please visit our website at www.vocal-ny.org.
Voices Of Community Activists & Leaders (VOCAL-NY) is a statewide grassroots membership organization that builds power among low-income people affected by HIV/AIDS, the drug war, mass incarceration, and homelessness in order to create healthy and just communities. We accomplish this through community organizing, leadership development, advocacy, direct services, participatory research and direct action.