Youth Rise Texas, an Austin, Texas based non-profit organization seeks its next Co-Executive Director to continue to execute and grow its strategic plan. Over the next 5 years the organization will pursue many goals. We will work to:
- Expand health and healing justice and alternatives to policing in schools and communities. We will also develop the data and research to support further policy changes.
- Develop more youth leadership to be experts in their fields – healing justice, liberation, legislative policy, community building and more. Provide training and support to lead on the program goals.
- Register and mobilize young people to vote and engage in legislative policy.
- Partner with other organizations to expand the geographic scope of our work across the state.
The search is being managed by the transition taskforce made up of staff, board, and stakeholders, and administered by Meso Solutions, a search firm. You can apply at this link. If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Co-ED will work closely with their fellow Co-ED as a partner but will fully own a body of work. The Co-ED will continue to pursue the organization’s primary goals over the next 5+ years. The division of work may be based on the new Co-ED’s particular strengths and experiences. Both ED’s are supported by the staff and board of directors.
- Lead the ongoing creation of organizational culture and value. Demonstrate equity in leadership and decision making.
- Provide Developmental Management and Supervision to staff in leadership positions. Mentor staff to achieve their own short and long term goals.
- Act as the organization’s chief of staff. Hire and support new staff during their onboarding. And when necessary, pursue corrective actions up to termination.
- Manage external contracts with consultants holding Human Resources, Benefits, Bookkeeping, Auditing and Financial Services. Ensure the continued improvement of systems serving operational functions.
- Co-Manage financial management and oversight. Monitor budgeting and spending. Ensure financials and compliance are reported properly to the board.
- Co-Develop and implement the organization’s political education program.
- Oversee and maintain the organization’s partner and movement building strategy at the local, county, state and national level. Identify, build, and maintain relationships with many different types of people and partners.
- Spokesperson/Representative. Publicly advocate for the organization’s goals with the press, donors, and elected officials.
- Support the development and execution of an organizational wide Communications strategy aimed at educating members of our base, major donors, foundation officers and the general public about our core issues, work and analysis.
- Support funding diversification with support from the Fundraising team. Partner with the board and Co-ED to continue to grow the organization’s funding over the next few years.
- Represent the organization with major donors and foundations.
An ideal candidate will have experience with several of the responsibilities noted above. We encourage you to apply if you feel you meet about half of the bullet points. Additional requirements include:
- A strong understanding and power assessment of the Texas’ political and advocacy environment.
- Dedication to mission oriented work. A deep understanding of criminalization and immigration and its impacts. You may have been personally impacted by one or both of these systems of oppression
- Experience working with youth and young people and an enthusiasm to continue to do so.
- 5+ years of experience in progressive levels of leadership in advocacy, issue, non-profit and/or political organizations.
- Strong relationship building skills with an orientation towards collaborative decision making.
- Comfort with budgets and financial management in small to midsize organizations
- Ability to work non-traditional hours such as evenings and weekends or other flexible work schedules
- Ability to speak a second language or English as a second language is highly valuable. Languages such as Spanish, Urdu, Hindi, Arabic, English, Swahili, English ASL.
Salary: $90,000 – $110,000. The salary will be determined by several factors including direct skills, experiences, training needs and demonstrated past results.
Benefits: $300 towards medical, dental, and insurance 401k with a 3% employer match; flexible schedules; extensive vacation, sick, and other leave; professional development opportunities; company provided computer and technology needs
Please include a resume and contact information on the application page. Additionally, instead of a cover letter, provide short answers to the following (recommended one to two paragraphs)
- Why are you interested in this position?
- Please summarize your experience with youth organizing and/or youth power building?
- What else would you like us to know about you?
We are a small, intergenerational staff that includes people of all ages, some of whom have long careers in non-profit and social justice work. We work to intentionally build community, relate and attend to each other both as coworkers and as individuals, and make space for everyone’s continued learning, growth, personal and professional development. Our physical business offices are located in Texas. During the COVID period, all staff have the option to work from home part- or full-time, and we limit the number of staff who can be in the office at any given time.
This role requires the ability to travel regularly, to walk for periods of time, and light physical activity.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
It is the policy of our organization to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.